From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Tobacco Tax "Should Support Child Health"

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 05 Feb 1998 08:30:50

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
USA
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

Statement of the National Council of the Churches of
Christ in the USA
by
The Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell, General Secretary
Re: Act for Smokefree and Healthy Children (S.1492)
Feb. 3, 1998, Washington, D.C.*

 The protracted struggle with the tobacco
industry now appears to be drawing to a close as a
settlement has taken form.  For years Americans have
pondered whether this industry would ever
acknowledge and be accountable for the illness,
injury and death associated with their products.

At last those questions may be answered in the
affirmative as the tobacco industry prepares to pay
out in settlement a form of reparations to the
American people.  Now, the weight of moral
obligation is placed upon the Congress of the United
States to determine whether there will be a "peace
dividend" for America's young as the tobacco wars
come to an end.

 The National Council of the Churches of Christ
in the USA joins with the great majority of the
American people in urging that revenues from the
tobacco settlement be applied first to the health
and well-being of America's children.  Children and
youth have long been perceived by tobacco interests
as an inviting and attractive potential market for
their deadly wares.  These same children and youth
should not need now to fear the indifference of
their own government.

 Churches in sacred rites and sacramental acts
baptize and/or dedicate the youngest of our citizens
and therein pledge the whole community's commitment
to protect, nurture and safeguard our children.  It
is from these deeply held beliefs in the
responsibility of the not so young to our children
that we make bold to offer our support and prayers
to these initiatives today. We commend Congressional
leadership for the introduction of legislation that
puts children first, improving early childhood
opportunities, increasing the quality of child care
and promoting after school activities which will
bring our children smokefree and healthy into their
adult years.

It is our hope that an increase in cigarette
costs serves to discourage smoking in every segment
of our society.  We celebrate these initiatives,
even while looking toward the day that we as a
society place upon children's health such priority
that it is cared for as a first order of business in
federal budget building. It is in that day that all
our children might live the lives for which they
were created.

-end-

* The Rev. Dr. Eileen W. Lindner, NCCCUSA Associate
General Secretary, presented Dr. Campbell's
statement at a news conference on Capitol Hill this
morning (February 3, 1998). Organized by the
Children's Defense Fund in support of the principles
expressed in the Act for Smokefree and Healthy
Children (S.1492), the news conference also included
the participation of the YWCA and several members of
U.S. Congress.
 -0-