From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church-State Essays Near Completion

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 05 Feb 1998 14:24:00

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 7, 1998

CHURCH-STATE ESSAYS NEAR COMPLETION
98-05-022-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Religious freedom and church-state relations will
be addressed in a new book of essays authored by Lutherans with backgrounds
in theology, ethics and law.  A nine-member writing team assembled by the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) met here Jan. 23-25 for the
last time before the book's publication in 1999.
     The project's co-directors -- the Rev. John R. Stumme, ELCA associate
director for studies, Chicago, and Dr. Robert W. Tuttle, associate
professor, George Washington University Law School, Washington, D.C. --
said the writers have been able to build on "significant work" done on the
subjects by Lutheran scholars in the 1960s and later.  The co-directors
will edit the essays this year and write the book's introduction.
     Many of the issues have changed in the past 30 years, said Stumme.
For example, the Supreme Court of the United States has made a number of
decisions influencing church-state relations, such as its recent opposition
to the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.
     "This project seeks to clarify a Lutheran perspective on the
relationship between church and state," said Tuttle.  He said there will be
essays on the Lutheran tradition, on the history of U.S. Constitutional law
relating to church/state questions, and on several areas of special
interest, including education, social services and zoning law.
     "The essays are not, however, specific responses to current problems.
They attempt to provide a useful foundation from which people can go on to
make informed judgments about contemporary problems," said Tuttle.
     "Every week we read about new areas of conflict or dispute between
religion and government in our pluralistic society," said Stumme.  The book
of essays will not provide "pat answers" for each issue.  "Instead it aims
to help form our leaders so they are better prepared when they do confront
quandaries and conflicts," he said.
     "We' re interested in cultivating a Lutheran tradition on church and
state.  The first step is to let what we have received shape and inform us.
Then we need to see what we should do so our tradition continues to bear
fruit," said Stumme.
     "It comes as a surprise sometimes when people discover that we
Lutherans are not 'strict separationists.'  We really can't be, because we
believe the same God rules both the church and the world," he said.  Stumme
said the ELCA sums up its attitude toward church-state relations with the
phrase "institutional separation and functional interaction" -- church and
state are two separate institutions that "interact for the good of
society."
     The writing team expressed interest in Stumme and Tuttle preparing
study materials to accompany the essays.  Those materials would facilitate
study of church-state relations and religious freedom in ELCA
congregations.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html