From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Church Leaders Learn About "Smart Living"

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 12 Feb 1998 16:21:50

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 13, 1998

ELCA CHURCH LEADERS LEARN ABOUT "SMART LIVING"
98-06-028-MR

        LISLE, ILL. (ELCA) -- "'Smart living' for Christians is both listening to and following
Jesus Christ," said Betty Lee Nyhus, ELCA director for stewardship and mission giving.  About
200 stewardship leaders gathered here Feb. 5-8 for the 1998 Stewardship Leadership Conference,
sponsored by the ELCA's Division for Congregational Ministries (DCM).
        The leaders met to develop new tools for mission and ministry and to "explore the
wisdom of living a principle-based, Christ-centered life."
        "When Christ dwells within them, Christians make smarter choices about life and
relationships," said Nyhus in an interview.  "Stewardship leaders play a critical role in the mission
and ministry of the ELCA.  The conference helped these leaders strengthen their personal and
professional witness as ministers in this church," she said.
        Nyhus will retire Feb. 28.  In 1979 she became the director for stewardship for the former
American Lutheran Church.
        "Commitments identify us.  It tells us who we are.  Stewardship is not just about money
but about commitments and the total being," said Tony Campolo, a professor of sociology at
Eastern College, St. David's, Pa., in his keynote address.  "If God gives you something special, you
want to share it.  You become Christian by attending to the needs of others.  Stewardship is about
attending to the needs of others.  Invest your lives sacrificially to give to the least.  This is what
stewardship is all about," he said.
        The Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of the ELCA, said, "There are three
discoveries I have made about smart living.  The first is that we are created for each other.  Being
with others is better than being by oneself.  The second discovery is that working together is better
than working for our own, individual good.  A life of trust is richer than a life of doubt.  And lastly,
if time isn't on your side, you better change sides.  Time is God's most powerful instrument and
God has an infinite amount of it.  Time is on God's side ... wouldn't it be good to be on God's side,"
Anderson said.
        Congregational leaders, deployed staff, global mission synodical coordinators, mission
interpreters, mission partners and World Hunger Appeal synodical leaders were conference
participants.  They all work in the area of financial stewardship.
        Workshops dealt with stewardship education, "funding with integrity," Bible reflection
and motivating techniques for mission giving.
        "We train because lives depend upon it.  We live in a time of extreme generosity and
extreme greed.  We need to be clear in the message we give people," said the Rev. Mark
Moller-Gunderson, executive director for the ELCA's Division for Congregational Ministries, at
the conference opening.
        "God provides everything we need to accomplish God's mission.  Decisions we make
about our stewardship of God's good gifts shape our partnership in that mission.  Funding with
integrity honors the giver, respects the partners in mission, and bears witness to grace-full
stewardship," said Moller-Gunderson during a workshop he led on funding.
        "Putting Christ first in our lives is smart," said the Rev. Quentin P. Garman, a retired
pastor from Carlsbad, Calif.  "The conference helps stewardship leaders put the fun in funding and
take the pain out of campaign."  Garman directs the ELCA's stewardship key leader program, a
stewardship education and response program for congregation fundraising.
         A new stewardship planning kit called, "Smart Living," was introduced to participants.
"The kit will help people develop and train for effective relational stewardship visits," said Robert
A. Sitze, ELCA associate director for stewardship and ministry in daily life resources.  "The
resource will help leaders revitalize their congregations through a stewardship emphasis that meets
people in their daily lives," he said.  The kit contains a planning guide, a videocassette and CD-Rom,
time-line poster and more.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html