From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Re: ELCA Church Leaders Learn About "Smart Living"

From NEWS <NEWS@elca.org>
Date 12 Feb 1998 18:15:45

Title:ELCA Church Leaders Learn About "Smart Living"
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 12, 1998

CHURCH LEADERS LEARN ABOUT 'SMART LIVING'
98-06-028-MR

     LISLE, Ill. (ELCA) -- "'Smart living' for Christians is both
listening to and following Jesus Christ," said Betty Lee Nyhus, director
for stewardship and mission giving for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America.  About 200 people gathered here Feb. 5-8 for the 1998 Stewardship
Leadership Conference.
     The leaders met to develop new tools for mission and ministry and to
"explore the wisdom of living a principle-based, Christ-centered life."
The event was organized by the ELCA's Division for Congregational
Ministries.
     "When Christ dwells within them, Christians make smarter choices
about life and relationships," said Nyhus in an interview.  "Stewardship
leaders play a critical role in the mission and ministry of the ELCA.  The
conference helped these leaders strengthen their personal and professional
witness as ministers in this church," she said.
     Nyhus will retire Feb. 28.  In 1979 she became the director for
stewardship for the former American Lutheran Church.
     "Putting Christ first in our lives is smart," said the Rev. Quentin
P. Garman, a retired pastor from Carlsbad, Calif.  "The conference helps
stewardship leaders put the fun in funding and take the pain out of
campaign."  Garman directs the ELCA's stewardship key leader program, an
education and response program for congregation fund raising.
     The Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of the ELCA, said,
"There are three discoveries I have made about smart living.  The first is
that we are created for each other.  Being with others is better than being
by oneself.  The second discovery is that working together is better than
working for our own, individual good.  A life of trust is richer than a
life of doubt."
     Anderson said, "And lastly, if time isn't on your side, you better
change sides.  Time is God's most powerful instrument and God has an
infinite amount of it.  Time is on God's side ... wouldn't it be good to be
on God's side."
     Congregational leaders, deployed staff, global mission synodical
coordinators, mission interpreters, mission partners and World Hunger
Appeal synodical leaders were conference participants.  They all work in
the area of financial stewardship.
     Workshops dealt with stewardship education, "funding with integrity,"
Bible reflection and motivating techniques for mission giving.
     "We train because lives depend upon it.  We live in a time of extreme
generosity and extreme greed.  We need to be clear in the message we give
people," said the Rev. Mark Moller-Gunderson, executive director for the
ELCA's Division for Congregational Ministries, at the conference opening.
     "God provides everything we need to accomplish God's mission.
Decisions we make about our stewardship of God's good gifts shape our
partnership in that mission.  Funding with integrity honors the giver,
respects the partners in mission, and bears witness to grace-full
stewardship," said Moller-Gunderson in a workshop.
     "Commitments identify us.  It tells us who we are.  Stewardship is
not just about money but about commitments and the total being," said Tony
Campolo, a professor of sociology at Eastern College, St. David's, Pa., in
his keynote address.  "If God gives you something special, you want to
share it.  You become Christian by attending to the needs of others.
Stewardship is about attending to the needs of others.  Invest your lives
sacrificially to give to the least.  This is what stewardship is all
about," he said.
      A new stewardship planning kit called, "Smart Living," was
introduced to participants.  "The kit will help people develop and train
for effective relational stewardship visits," said Robert A. Sitze, ELCA
associate director for stewardship and ministry in daily life resources.
"The resource will help leaders revitalize their congregations through a
stewardship emphasis that meets people in their daily lives," he said.  The
kit contains a planning guide, a videocassette and CD-Rom, time-line poster
and more.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html