From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TAFO Committee Will Fight Move to Reduce Its Membership

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 16 Feb 1998 09:45:48

4-February-1998
98041

                TAFO Committee Will Fight Move to
                    Reduce Its Membership

                    by Jerry L. Van Marter

SANTA MONICA, Calif.-The Technology and Finance Office (TAFO) Committee
says it will fight a recommendation that its membership be reduced from 12
to five members.

    The recommendation to reduce the TAFO Committee is coming to the
upcoming meeting of the General Assembly Council in Louisville from an
"implementation work group" appointed last fall by GAC chair Fred Denson.
The implementation group was formed in response to directives from last
year's General Assembly and the GAC to restructure the office of the
executive director of the GAC and TAFO.

    The decision to fight the TAFO Committee downsizing move came during
the committee's Jan. 23-24 meeting here - a meeting dominated by an
examination of the future role of TAFO, which has seen its responsibilities
and power steadily erode over the past year.

    In December of 1996, the TAFO (then Corporate and Administrative
Services, or CAS) director, G.A. "Pat" Goff, was relieved of his duties, as
was one of his top aides, Michael Tronzo.  Goff and Tronzo had championed
an accounting software package that failed, jeopardizing the PC(USA)'s 1996
external audit.

    At about the same time, sweeping changes in GAC operations were
proposed by the Arthur Andersen consulting firm, which resulted in the
removal of most nonaccounting functions from TAFO's responsibilities.  In
September, the GAC transferred oversight responsibilities for the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), A Corporation from TAFO to the Council's
Executive Committee.

    The TAFO Committee had asked for consultation with GAC leaders prior to
a shift of the corporation responsibilities last fall and TAFO Committee
chair the Rev. Hugh Burroughs of Berkeley, Calif., sharply questioned
Denson in Santa Monica on that point.  Burroughs said he understood that
Denson would make a motion to rule such a shift out of order, but when the
motion came - from GAC member Youngil Cho - Denson allowed the motion to be
put to a vote and it passed narrowly.

    "I am dismayed, sir," Burroughs told Denson, "that GAC gave corporate
responsibilities to its Executive Committee without consultation.  When one
GAC body requests consultation, there should be consultation."

    Denson replied that the motion came not from another GAC entity, but
from an individual member on the floor of the Council meeting.  He said
that under those circumstances, "I had to rule that the motion was properly
before the house."

    TAFO Committee member Robert Salati of Laurel Springs, N.J., questioned
whether the GAC Executive Committee will have the time "to give the kind of
intense review to corporation matters that TAFO can."  Burroughs agreed,
but Denson suggested that TAFO could continue to serve as "a property and
finance subcommittee to the Executive Committee."  Burroughs replied that
no such structure is yet in place for such an arrangement, and Louis
Jacobo, an accountant from Phoenix, Ariz., said such a move would "dilute a
critically necessary oversight function."

    TAFO Committee member John A. Rodgers of McMurray, Pa., said the
restructuring effort generally is "putting too much oversight authority in
the hands of two few people."  Salati, who is a member of the
implementation work group, agreed, adding, "The original recommendation was
that TAFO be eliminated altogether - we were looking at zero and wound up
with five. ... I got what I could get."

    TAFO Committee member Raymond Anglin of Plantation, Fla., asked if it
was too late to slow down the proposed restructuring "until we have more
clarity and consensus."  Denson replied that there is "an unwritten
mandate" to have the new structure in place by this year's General
Assembly.  Denson, a former CAS chair, agreed that "shifting all this stuff
to the Executive Committee just overloads them" and encouraged TAFO to
develop counterproposals.

    Burroughs said the first task will be to defeat the TAFO Committee
reduction motion "and then explain our thinking about how the staff
functions that are being moved around should be overseen by elected persons
and entities."

    Surveying what is left of TAFO's responsibilities, interim TAFO
director Robert McKee suggested that "we just rename TAFO `Financial
Services.'"

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>