From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Letter on Iraq to Clinton

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 16 Feb 1998 15:28:50

National Council of the Churches of Christ in
the U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
Internet: news@ncccusa.org
Web: www.ncccusa.org and www.wfn.org

NCC EXECUTIVE BOARD WRITES CLINTON ON IRAQ

 NEW YORK, Feb. 16 ---- The National
Council of Churches' policy-setting Executive
Board today unanimously approved and then
forwarded the following letter to President
Clinton calling on him to pursue a
humanitarian, not military, option in Iraq.

 The NCC is the leading U.S. ecumenical
body with 34 member Protestant and Orthodox
Christian denominations embracing nearly 52
million congregants.

----

February 16, 1998

The Honorable William Jefferson Clinton
The White House
Washington DC  20005

Dear Mr. President:

The burden of leadership in the face of the
Iraqi government's defiance of UN mandates is
now, we believe, especially heavy and it is
unavoidably yours to bear. As religious
leaders, we write respectfully to offer you
counsel rooted in the experience and the deeply
held commitments of numerous religious
communities both within and beyond our
membership:

Continue diplomacy patiently, even
doggedly. Insist on UN compliance but
practice restraint.  Pursue a
humanitarian, not a military, option.

The overwhelming reality is that there are no
easy or readily apparent solutions to the
current impasse. No options appear that are
free of risks altogether. Our counsel:  Listen
to that reality. Quick solutions pursued in a
clouded landscape are morally suspect and
historically dangerous.

Engaging in  military action, the unleashing of
the awesome USA arsenal which you have often
demonstrated a reluctance to pursue, clearly
announces the failure of diplomacy on all sides
and its exhaustion. But the choice of muscle is
the suspect equivalent of belligerence, always
morally ambiguous. Embracing such a choice is a
special temptation reserved for strong men and
women who see themselves pursuing a course that
is right. Even our earlier military action
failed to end repressive government in Iraq or
stop the potential for belligerence. Our
counsel:  Resist. The lure of military muscle
is sometimes a false attraction.

We are not a body of pacifist religious
communities, though there are strong pacifist
traditions among us that often command our
spiritual and ethical respect. Historically
many of our churches have affirmed the
defensive use of military power and even its
deterrent value in a sinful world. We have
however never supported its "first strike" use.
We cannot support it now.

Our counsel arises from numerous and even
varied religious voices now speaking with
urgency. We have listened. We offer to you the
recurring theme in their statements:  Seek a
humanitarian and diplomatic, not a military,
solution to the present confrontation with
Iraq's leadership.

We affirm and identify with the careful
reasoning of the United States Catholic
Conference offered in counsel to the Secretary
of State by Archbishop McCarrick. We too
underscore international, multilateral efforts
to address Iraq's non-compliance with UN
authorization for weapons inspections. We too
urge increased efforts to relieve the
undeserved suffering of the Iraqi people while
maintaining a ban on military supplies. We are
especially hopeful that the terms of the
embargo against Iraq can be shifted to allow
the community of nations to address the need
for food, clean water and healthcare for the
Iraqi people. Thereby we believe there can be
an end to the malnutrition and disease
resulting in death which has now struck over
one million Iraqis, half of them children.
Through the embargo our nation has participated
in an only partially effective strategy at the
cost of needless human suffering, This must
end! But the central message remains clear:  a
means of resolution short of war must be found.

The official position of the United Methodist
Church is strong:  our moral duty is to resolve
conflicts by peaceful means. Its established
social policy rejects war as ever being a
legitimate instrument of foreign policy.
United Methodist leaders affirm that there is
no moral argument for inflicting further injury
on any who hurt as the Iraqi people presently
do.

The Black Church Liaison Committee of this
Council, representative of the historic
African-American Churches, said that in
addition to Christian conscience and
humanitarian concerns, it urges strongly that
diplomacy continue. It spoke against any hasty
government action that would result in further
dehumanization and loss of innocent life in
Iraq, and possibly escalate into a sacrifice of
American lives as well.

The Church of the Brethren strongly urges US
restraint.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, rightly reminding
us of the aggressive commitment of President
Hussein to develop further the horrible weapons
of mass destruction, urges the Iraqi government
to accept the UN mandates, a necessary
contribution to a peaceful outcome.

The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) through its
208th General Assembly has voiced its deep
concern for the deplorable life conditions of
the people of Iraq.  The Iraqi poor "have been
swept away in the torrent of deprivation."
"Food and medicine for oil" has been
insufficient.  People have been sacrificed for
political and economic interests and the United
Nations has been caught in between.  While
deploring the intransigence and cruelty of the
present Iraqi regime, the General Assembly has
spoken especially clearly on behalf of those
who innocently suffer.

The American Friends Service Committee,
typically active for peace, is now providing
over one thousand "Friendship Kits" for Iraqis.
It urges patient diplomacy, notes the
militarization of the Middle East as a whole
and questions the consequences of any military
action:  Will all inspections then be
sacrificed? Will such actions actually
strengthen support for President Hussein even
beyond the Middle East?

Our friends in The Middle East Council of
Churches offer counsel informed by their life
in the threatened region:  seek a solution
based in peace, not war, in diplomacy not
violence. Iraq is not the only nation which has
defied UN mandates without confronting military
reprisal. Negotiations must continue.

The American Muslim Council speaks of the
danger of turning world opinion against the US
instead of destabilizing the repressive regime
of Saddam Hussein. Further it questions the
effectiveness of air strikes in achieving any
resolution and brands them pointless, except
for inflicting suffering on the innocent.

Religious voices in Canada sound similar themes
in their counsel to Prime Minister Chretien.
They urge him to decline the invitation to join
Canadian forces to a military action. They cite
the lack of evidence that a military attack
will succeed where diplomacy has failed. They
raise concern for infectious atmospheric leaks
from damage to chemical or biological weapons
from air attacks unleashing threats to life
beyond control. In company with Middle East
voices they note the weakened capacity of UN
mandates in the light of the continuing
defiance of other Security Council resolutions
related to the Middle East. Finally they base
their counsel in the moral and even strategic
indefensibility of inflicting further suffering
on the Iraqi people.

Other religious voices are being heard. These
references are only samples. The full texts
currently available are attached. The theme is
consistent:  Pursue diplomacy; do not choose
military action.

Finally, we have asked ourselves, is there a
morally defensible course of action that can
offer US policy the "high ground"? We believe
the key lies in allowing the Iraqi people to
see the United States and the community of
nations as compassionate friends, not agents of
injury, threat and pain. The demonizing
portrayal of the United States by the Iraq
Government will only be confirmed by resorting
to military action.

Alternatively an aggressive humanitarian
embrace of Iraqi people offers a resolution
through compassion and puts forward a sign of
hope. It is not too late for such a course and
it can be pursued at a fraction of the cost of
war. It builds on the provisions of aid in
which our member churches and other religious
communities have long engaged.  It promises to
draw Iraq back into the family of nations in
place of a future of greater isolation and
disrespect. It offers healing not further hurt.
It conforms to the best in the hearts of the
American people.

We are attracted to the Mennonite proposal of
"a massive effort to provide medicine and food
for starving and sick Iraqi people." Suppose
our planes and personnel were commissioned to
deliver aid, not drop bombs. Suppose our policy
was to resupply hospitals, offer skilled
medical care, open access to foodstuffs,
rebuild the infrastructure needed for the flow
of life, pursue economic development and other
foundational ingredients of peace. It is a
vision with practical and strategic
possibility.

We believe such a massive humanitarian response
is possible. It offers "high ground." It would
allow the world to breathe easier beyond
anxiety and tension. It would conform to the
religious instincts of the American people and
give voice to our most deeply shared
commitments of faith. It would be an act of
brave leadership in the heritage of President
Lincoln who reached out to heal in the wake of
the civil war.

There is practical wisdom as well as spiritual
counsel in the words of Scripture:  "Vengeance
is mine, I will repay, says the Lord. Do not be
overcome by evil but overcome evil with good."

You, as President, and others who lead our
nation in this difficult time will continue in
our prayers. We offer the communities of faith
we represent as partners in a humanitarian
course of response to Iraq. We are eager to
provide aid and healing. We counsel:

Pursue diplomacy. Urge Iraqi compliance.
Resist the military option. Offer aid and
healing. Build peace.
Respectfully, with our prayers for God's wisdom
and our courage to follow,

The Right Rev. Craig B. Anderson, President

The Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell, General
Secretary

Other Officers:

Bishop Melvin B. Talbert
Immediate Past  President