From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Dialogue Participants Offer 'Guidelines for Civility'

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 23 Feb 1998 15:52:38

CONTACT: Thomas S. McAnally			 (10-21-28-71B){104}
         Nashville, Tenn. (615) 742-5470	  Feb. 23, 1998

NOTE: This sidebar may be used with UMNS story #102.

United Methodist dialogue participants
suggest 'guidelines for civility' in church

	DALLAS (UMNS) -- Ten "Guidelines for Civility in the United
Methodist Church" were developed by participants in two theological
dialogues that ended here on Feb. 20:
	* Respect the personhood of others, while engaging their ideas.
	* Carefully represent the views of those with whom we are in
disagreement.
	* Be careful in defining terms, avoiding needless use of
inflammatory words.
	* Be careful in the use of generalizations; where appropriate,
offer specific evidence.
	* Seek to understand the experiences out of which others have
arrived at their views. Hear the stories of others, as we share our own.
	* Exercise care that expressions of personal offense at the
differing opinions of others not be used as a means of inhibiting
dialogue.
	* Be a patient listener before formulating responses.
	* Be open to change in your own position and patient with the
process of change in the thinking and behavior of others.
	* Make use of facilitators and mediators where communication can
be served by it.
	* Always remember that people are defined, ultimately, by their
relationship with God -- not by the flaws we discover or think we
discover in their views and actions.
#  #  #

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470