From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Division Committee Chair John McFayden:

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 01 Mar 1998 16:10:50

17-February-1998
98051

    Division Committee Chair John McFayden:
     A Driven - Uh, Driving Man

    by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-He's a self-affirmed Corvette nut and a biker of the
Harley-Davidson persuasion, but it's his call as a Presbyterian pastor that
really drives Dr. John G. McFayden, chair of the Congregational Ministries
Division (CMD) Committee.

    McFayden, who was elected to the GAC in 1996, is former chair of the
division's Stewardship Program Area subcommittee. He also chaired the GAC's
Task Group on Special Offerings from 1994 to 1996. McFayden was a
commissioner to the 1993 Assembly in Orlando, Fla., where he was appointed
to the Stewardship and Communication Committee.

    McFayden, senior pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Arlington
Heights, Ill., accepted the call there on Jan. 1 of this year. Prior to
that, he served as pastor of First United Presbyterian Church in Dale City,
Va. Elected as CMD Committee chair last year prior to the 209th General
Assembly (1997), McFayden said his role as leader of the division committee
parallels his new arrival at First Presbyterian Church in many ways.

    "There are a lot of new challenges," McFayden told the Presbyterian
News Service. "Fortunately, this is a great committee and staff who really
make the job enjoyable and not too difficult most of the time."

    A native of Raleigh, N.C., McFayden was a member of First Presbyterian
Church there all of his young life. He left Raleigh to attend the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, graduating in 1978. During his
years at Chapel Hill, McFayden attended University Presbyterian Church.

    He was ordained after graduating in 1981 from Princeton Theological
Seminary.  His first pastorate was a  "yoked" one which lasted three years
at the Cove and Rockfish Presbyterian churches in the mountains of Virginia
outside of Charlottesville.

    After leaving there in the summer of 1984, McFayden moved to the
Washington, D.C. area (National Capital Presbytery) where he served for
nine years as pastor of Camp Springs Presbyterian Church in Camp Springs,
Md. In 1993, he was called to First United Presbyterian Church in Dale
City, Va. approximately 25 miles away, serving there four years.

    "I left (Dale City) sooner than I ever anticipated I would," McFayden
said. "But the call came from Arlington Heights and the conviction of the
people there who encouraged me to come as their pastor was compelling."

    McFayden has a wife, Laurel, and a teenage son, Chris, from a previous
marriage. He said Laurel is an accomplished musician who has served in the
U.S. Army and is currently stationed in Washington, D.C. with the U.S. Air
Force where she is director of the Air Force band "High Flight." McFayden
said his wife plans to retire soon and join him in Arlington Heights next
summer.

    And what of his vehicles? McFayden's always been interested in sports
cars and bikes and is the proud owner of  three American motoring icons - a
1996 Corvette Coupe, a 1993 Harley-Davidson customized soft-tail and a 1997
Harley Electra-Glide.

    "People in my congregations have tended to respond very positively to
(my vehicular enthusiasms) and I have perceived that it's made me real in
their perception, accessible, down- to-earth if you will," McFayden said.
"And, at the same time, it has provided some opportunity for me to have an
interest that gets me away from the church and out doing something totally
different, something not usually associated with being a Presbyterian
pastor."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>