From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Division Director Poethig Is Not Affirmed by the GAC

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 01 Mar 1998 16:13:09

17-February-1998
98052

          Division Director Poethig Is Not Affirmed by the GAC

                             by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-Agreeing with the recommendations of its End of Term Review
and Congregational Ministries Division (CMD) committees, the General
Assembly Council (GAC) did not affirm the Rev. Eunice B. Poethig as CMD
director following a private session here on Feb. 13.  Poethig was released
from her duties as a division director on Feb. 14, when her contract
expired.

      As was the case during the CMD Committee's meeting last November,
committee members were again charged with the task of evaluating the needs
of the division and deciding who will lead it into the future. The
end-of-term review process is prescribed by the GAC, and is used to assist
the Council in reaching a decision regarding the renomination of division
directors.

    Emerging from a marathon executive session on Feb. 12, the CMD
Committee not only failed to recommend Poethig for another four-year term,
but rescinded its action from Nov. 13, 1997, which called for an extension
of her current contract through Sept. 30, 1998. Their recommendation was
then submitted to the GAC for discussion and action.

    "I felt genuinely called to this position,"  Poethig disappointedly
told the Presbyterian News Service shortly after the GAC's decision was
announced. "I think we have accomplished wonderful things together and we
always worked as a team in the Congregational Ministries Division. I have
great trust that the leadership in the division will go forward and that
they will continue what they have accomplished."

    On Feb. 11, Poethig requested that the CMD Committee reconsider its
November action regarding her end of term review and replace it with a
recommendation that she be allowed to stand for re-election to a second,
two-year term as division director. She claimed her November review did not
meet the requirements for the "End-of-Term Performance Review" as provided
by the GAC Manual of Operations. Furthermore, Poethig said, violation of
the procedures under her employment contract and denial of her eligibility
without due process constituted an unlawful breach of her agreement.

    Specifically, Poethig said, her interview with the End-of-Term Review
Committee lasted 20 minutes, not the 2-3 hours prescribed in the Manual.
Additionally, she said, the committee's decision came before she was given
an opportunity to respond to the information she was presented.

    Poethig told the Presbyterian News Service she questioned the review
process at the suggestion of the Presbytery of Western New York, of which
she is a member. During its Jan. 27 meeting, the presbytery expressed
concern about the process and outcome of Poethig's end of term review.

    Support for Poethig came in several forms, including letters from the
Synod of the Covenant, Chicago Presbytery, Lincoln Park Presbyterian Church
in Chicago, where Poething was ordained, and from Justice for Women of
Louisville Presbytery, which circulated a petition that received more than
1,200 signatures from people across the denomination. "I want to give
thanks to all the staff and all those who have supported us and me through
this very difficult time," Poethig said.

              The Executive Session of the CMD Committee

    During their executive session, the CMD Committee:

    *  Heard Poethig, the Rev. Ed Craxton, CMD associate director for
       Christian Education; the Rev. Frank Diaz, GAC interim executive
       director; John Evans, chair of the End of Term Review Committee;
       Eric J.  Graninger, Technology and Finance Office general counsel;
       and Jinny K.  Miller, a GAC member of Mishawaka, Ind., to speak
       about the situation.
    *  Heard the End of Term Review Committee review their process,
       recommendation and rationale in not recommending Poethig for another
       term.
    *  Heard Poethig respond, sharing her perspectives on the review
       process and results, her recommendation that the Nov. 14, 1997 CMDC
       actions be rescinded, and her vision for the division under her
       leadership.

    Yet, indications of  Poethig's dismissal were imminent - even before
the GAC handed down its ruling. On Feb. 10, GAC Executive Committee chair
Fred Denson of Webster, N.Y. told the Presbyterian News Service there were
no substantive errors in Poethig's review process, adding that the GAC's
Personnel Subcommittee also reviewed the process to ensure proper
procedures were followed.

    Denson, acknowledged however that Poethig's meeting with the
End-Of-Term Review Committee lasted 20 minutes, not the 2-3 hours as
specified in the GAC Manual of Operations. He said  "some further review"
may need to be given to the Manual.

    While undecided on whether to file a lawsuit, Poethig told the
Presbyterian News Service she has retained the services of a law firm in
Chicago. Clearly unwilling to exit her position quietly, Poethig said her
desire to  remain a division director stemmed primarily from her devotion
to the church.

    "My passion is for the anxiety that's present in the employees across
the church, for how vulnerable they are if personnel policies aren't
followed and the responses that have come to me and the public responses
illustrate this quite clearly," Poethig said. "The process that has
affected me raises issues for the whole church."

    Responding to the question of whether or not her termination was the
result of action by conservative opponents, Poethig said any time
performance reviews are conducted there is a high probability they are
shaped by "many different influences." That is why, Poethig said, the
review process needs to be conducted in a manner in which  "all factors can
be considered and dealt with."

    "Based on the (present end-of-term review) model that we use with
General Assembly personnel ... opportunities to speak are guarded," Poethig
said. "We need to be alert and careful to use that process well."

    Poethig was elected by the GAC in 1994 to be director of the
newly-constituted Congregational Ministries Division following restructure
of the Council in 1993. In accordance with procedures outlined in the GAC
Manual of Operations, her performance over the past four years was
evaluated by the End-Of-Term Review Committee. Their review included
receiving evaluations from 96 individuals from across the denomination who
were familiar with Poethig's work, consideration of her annual and mid-term
performance evaluations and information provided by Poethig.

                        The next steps for the division

    In accordance with procedures to be followed when a director vacancy
occurs, Denson said he has conferred with the GAC Executive Committee
regarding next steps. The GAC's Manual of Operations provides for the
following interim steps:

   *   The GAC interim executive director, the Rev. Frank Diaz will meet
       with the CMD staff to explain the procedures, hear concerns, answer
       questions and seek their suggestions for the interim period.
   *   Diaz will confer with the CMD Committee and staff on skills and
       talents needed in the new division director.
   *   Diaz, in consultation with the Personnel Subcommittee and
       appropriate persons selected by the CMD Committee, will determine
       the need for an interim director, begin the selection process if it
       is determined that an interim director is needed, and appoint the
       interim director.

    If an interim division director is not needed, Diaz will determine how
the functions of the CMD director will be filled. An interim division
director may serve only during the interim period and may not be called as
the CMD director.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>