From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Publishing Officials Herald New Resources

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 01 Mar 1998 16:14:11

25-February-1998
98064

     Publishing Officials Herald New Resources

    by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-During the General Assembly Council (GAC) meeting here Feb.
11-14, the Presbyterian Publishing Corporation (PPC) and the Curriculum
Publishing Program Area (CPPA) of the Congregational Ministries Division
(CMD) announced several new resources and encouraging news, including PPC's
160th  anniversary this year.

    The Rev. Robert W. Bohl of Prairie Village, Kans., PPC board chair,
said the corporation has published the first in a series of church
leadership resources in honor of Price H. Gwynn III of Charlotte, N.C.,
former PPC board chair. "To Praise God Boldly," an essay written by the
Rev. John M.. Buchanan of Chicago, moderator of the 208th General Assembly
(1996), was distributed recently to about 14,000 leaders in the
denomination.

    Bohl said PPC has also published a book entitled "Evangelism Is,"
written by former General Assembly moderator the Rev. Clinton M. Marsh of
Atlanta. Elder Patricia "Pat" Brown, moderator of the 209th General
Assembly (1997), has written a Geneva Press book entitled "Preaching from
the Pew."

    "It is an exciting time for the publishing corporation," Bohl told GAC
members. "I am especially pleased to say that we have established various
partnerships with our own entities within the church and also distribution
partnerships with other publishers in this country and in other countries.

    "I am especially pleased to tell you that PPC is responsible for
publishing the marvelous publication called `Presbyterians - Being Faithful
to Jesus Christ' with the General Assembly Council," Bohl said. "We are now
sending out more than a half-million copies. ..."

    Davis Perkins, PPC president and publisher, told the Presbyterian News
Service that PPC made roughly $700,000 in net income over its expenses for
1997. He approximated PPC's current cash reserves at $5 million.

    Officials in the CPPA reported good news too. During the CMD Committee
meeting, Donna Blackstock , CPPA associate director, said sales are
currently above budget and the 1996 transfer of curriculum functions to CMD
has resulted in a win-win situation for both the GAC and the PPC.

    During the fall of 1995, when curriculum was a joint project of PPC and
CMD, PPC officials projected a minimum loss for curriculum in 1997 of $1.2
million. But in 1996, the General Assembly gave the CMD total
responsibility for denominational curriculum and the CPPA was born. Through
efficiencies, the continued loyalty of Bible Discovery and Celebrate
customers, and new products, CPPA income in 1997 was $119,000 over budget.
Consequently, officials say, the surplus predicted for 1998 will underwrite
the development of the new curriculum, Covenant People.

    "The turnaround has been dramatic," said GAC and CMD Committee member
the Rev. Warren L. Barnes of Sacramento, Calif.

    Blackstock said the first full year of CPPA, has been "busy and
fulfilling." Upcoming  CPPA activities include

    * continuing to provide congregations with both Bible Discovery and
      Celebrate curriculum
    * working with educators to meet needs and determine sound educational
      strategies
    * maintaining sales at slightly higher levels than projected
    * adding a second imprint, Witherspoon Press, under which CPPA
      publishes noncurriculum materials specifically for the PC(USA)
    * receiving two publishing awards from the Mid America Publishers
      Association, one for "Women of Faith" and the other for "The Year of
      the Bible."

    "We are grateful for the support and encouragement of the CMD
Committee, the GAC, our colleagues throughout the governing bodies of the
church, and the individuals in the church at large," Blackstock said. "We
look forward in our joined efforts to produce quality resources that will
help all of us work to grow together in the Spirit."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>