From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Partnerships with Latin American Churches Continue to Expand

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 01 Mar 1998 17:53:12

25-February-1998
98066

    Partnerships with Latin American
    Churches Continue to Expand

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-As the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) wraps up its Year with
Latin Americans observance, the General Assembly Council (GAC) has
authorized four consultations to develop two new mission partnerships in
Central America and to review the church's longer standing ministries with
Presbyterians in Cuba and in Mexico.

    "We don't want things to stop at the end of the Year with Latin
Americans," said Worldwide Ministries Division (WMD)'s Ecumenical
Partnerships Committee chair Inez Allan of Bellevue, Wash., during the
division committee's Feb. 13 meeting here.  "We want things to continue to
go on."

    Those "things" include scheduled study trips in 1998 to Argentina and
Chile, Nov. 4-20, and Cuba, July 6-15 and Oct. 6-15, in addition to the
1997 study tours that took 67 U.S. Presbyterians to Brazil, Argentina and
Chile, Colombia and Bolivia, Cuba, the Dominican Republic and Haiti.  The
PC(USA) coordinated 227 work groups in 1996 to Central America and the
Caribbean, with nearly 83 of those groups working along the U.S./Mexico
border, and led 28 travel/study groups to Latin America, with 24 of those
groups studying Nicaragua.

    Furthermore, the denomination's new Young Adult Volunteers program -
which has doubled in size since its inception in 1994 - placed
Presbyterians in short-term assignments on the U.S./Mexico border.

    "I think that we were successful at putting Latin America on the table
again after it was neglected since the late 1980s, though that was not a
stated objective," said Year with Latin Americans coordinator Peter
Kemmerle, who reports that about 90 percent of the educational materials
produced for the year have been distributed.

    "[But we acted on] reports from mission workers in Central America who
reported that partners were saying, `Where did you all go?'"

    So after a June 1997 WMD Committee decision to enter partnerships with
the Presbyterian Church of Honduras and the Reformed Church in El Salvador,
dates were set for consultations with those two Central American churches.
"These are consultative conversations, the first steps toward dialogue and
engagement in mission," said outgoing WMD chair Eugene McKelvey of Houston,
Texas.

    The El Salvador meeting, during which a cooperative mission statement
will be developed, is set for May 20-25.  The PC(USA) has historically
worked with the Lutheran Church in El Salvador.  The meeting in Hondruas is
set for May 17-20.

    No dates are currently set for the annual review of joint activities
undertaken between the National Presbyterian Church of Mexico and the
PC(USA) or for a larger scale review of ministries between the Presbyterian
Reformed Church in Cuba and the PC(USA).

    "We will be looking at what we've done in the past ... and at the
written [partnership] agreement that we signed 12 years ago," said the
PC(USA)'s Central America liaison, Julia Ann Moffett, about the Cuba
dialogue.  "We'll look at the agreement, see what we want to continue and
see what we ought to do to meet [the needs] of a changing situation. ...

             "The church there has changed its structure.  And certainly
the world has changed."

    In other business related to ministries with Latin Americans, the WMD
Committee approved guidelines for a relationship between the division and
Presbyterian Reformed and Renewal Ministries, an independent organization
in Black Mountain, N.C., for mission in mutually agreed upon South American
countries, beginning with Brazil.

    Finally, a partnership between Providence Presbytery and the Christian
Commission for Development in Honduras, an agency in the Honduran capital
of Tegucigalpa, was approved by the division.

    When asked about how successful the Year with Latin Americans has been,
Moffett told the Presbyterian News Service that the idea was initiated by
Central Americans who wanted the PC(USA) to rethink its ministry there.
"So we just broadened our scope, understanding that any initiative -
whether it is on Africa or Latin America or education -  is a special time
for the church to concentrate on those issues.

    "Our hope and our prayer," she said, "is that it will not be dropped at
the end."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>