From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Mordecai named administrator at Church Center

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 04 Mar 1998 09:55:07

February 27, 1998
Episcopal News Service
James Solheim, Director
(212) 922-5385
jsolheim@dfms.org

98-2098
Mordecai named administrator at Church Center
	(ENS) Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold has named Pat Mordecai, a long-time administrator in the Diocese of Massachusetts, as assistant to the presiding bishop for administration at the Episcopal Church Center in New York.
	The announcement concluded a five-month search process for the position that was approved by General Convention last July. More than 50 applicants were considered. She expects to begin her duties by the end of March.
	"If I don't bring anything else, I will bring spirit!"  Mordecai said from her home in Washington, D.C. "I'm a people person, and I want to build a team spirit" with the Church Center staff.
	Mordecai brings years of practical church administrative experience to the new post. Starting as a secretary to then-Dean John Coburn at the Episcopal Theological School in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1962, she moved with Coburn to the diocesan offices in 1975 after he was elected bishop. During the next 16 years she planned and managed conventions, special events, and facilities for the diocese. She eventually directed personnel and administration under the late Bishop David Johnson.
	In 1995 she became director of operations for St. Alban's parish on the grounds of the Washington National Cathedral. Her duties included managing day-to-day operations for the 2,000-member congregation, overseeing a 16-member staff, and coordinating numerous volunteer activities.
	"Pat brings an understanding of the church and practical managerial skills," Griswold said. "She is the person I would like to work with."
	Mordecai's primary responsibilities at the Church Center include implementing church policy and ensuring that the national staff is effective, efficient, and responsive. She will serve as an advisor to the presiding bishop and Executive Council and will lead the senior executive group of managers, which includes the treasurer, secretary to General Convention, the special assistant to the presiding bishop, and the executive for program.
	She described her leadership style as "management by wandering. You can't manage people by sitting behind a desk.  I like being involved with the people I work with, and caring for people in ministry," she said.
	Mordecai and her husband, Don, have four grown children and live in Washington, D.C.