From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA/CWS El Nino Response

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 04 Mar 1998 15:15:11

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
USA
Contact: Wendy S. McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227
Internet: news@ncccusa.org
Web: http://www.ncccusa.org and http://www.wfn.org

NCC3/4/98    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

EDITORS: Photos to accompany this story will be
available soon.  Please phone the NCC Communication
Department (212-870-2227) concerning your photo
needs.

When listing organizations receiving funds for
humanitarian response to El Ni¤o, including the
storms in California and Florida, please include:
CHURCH WORLD SERVICE, P.O. Box 968, Elkhart, IN
46515.  Phone pledges or credit card donations: 1-
800-762-0968.

CWS works in more than 70 countries, including the
U.S., in disaster relief, human development and
refugee assistance.  It is a ministry of the
National Council of Churches, the nation's
preeminent ecumenical organization which includes 34
Protestant and Orthodox member communions with a
combined membership of nearly 52 million.

IN THE WAKE OF EL NI¥O'S DEVASTATION, CHURCH WORLD
SERVICE
RESPONDS TO MOST VULNERABLE IN THE U.S. AND
WORLDWIDE

NEW YORK, Mar. 4 ---- As the El Ni¤o weather
phenomenon wreaks havoc worldwide, including in the
United States, Church World Service (CWS) is
providing a community-based response to the most
vulnerable people in areas where unmet needs are the
greatest.

Last week, CWS launched extensive recovery
efforts in the wake of the storms and flooding in
California and Florida, drawing on already existing
interreligious networks and developing new faith-
based organizations to distribute aid, coordinate
volunteers and help the poorest and most vulnerable
people with emergency and long-term assistance.

In recent months, CWS has responded to El Ni¤o-
related disasters in East Africa, Mexico and Latin
America with blankets, food, medicine and aid for
the reconstruction of homes and the reinforcement of
river banks.

"The many ways we have been responding to the
crippling weather caused by El Ni¤o, from our `El
Ni¤o preparedness' appeal in September 1997 to our
targeted appeals of recent months in Somalia,
Mexico, Latin America and the U.S., reveal our
philosophy better than any statement could," said
the Rev. Dr. Rodney Page, Executive Director of CWS.

"We focus on vulnerable and isolated people,
whose needs often go unmet," said Rick Augsburger,
Director of the CWS Emergency Response Office.  "We
also focus on the community level, by working with
partner agencies."  The CWS response to Hurricane
Pauline in Mexico is a good example of these
emphases, Mr. Augsburger said.  "We sought $300,000
to help the rural, and primarily indigenous,
communities in the region, especially those in
isolated areas who were being neglected by other
international aid agencies," he said.  "CWS Regional
Representative Samuel Lobato is working with the
Catholic Archdiocese, indigenous organizations such
as the Guerrense Council, and the local NGO network
to supply food, reconstruction materials, tools and
transport."

Other CWS efforts in response to El Ni¤o
include:

  * The recent tornadoes that struck central
Florida killed at least 38 people and destroyed
more than 400 residences.  CWS has appealed for
$500,000 to work with its partners, the Florida
Council of Churches and its affiliate,
Interfaith Networking in Disaster (FIND), to
implement a four-part response plan.  The plan
includes: Deploying volunteers to install
temporary roofing; developing
informational/training sessions to prepare
clergy and lay volunteers to care for
caregivers, to provide crisis counseling to
disaster-affected families, and assist disaster
survivors in applying for Red Cross and FEMA
assistance; establishing local interfaith
organizations to address long-term recovery
needs, and launching a fundraising drive.
  * In California, the networks formed as a
result of last year's mitigation and
preparedness efforts by CWS Disaster
Consultants have sprung into action as
torrential, record-breaking rains fueled by El
Ni¤o have pounded both northern and southern
parts of the state.  CWS has appealed for
$350,000 from its member communions for
interfaith organization and training and seed
money for the coordination of housing
reconstruction for as many as 300 homes.  CWS
Disaster Resource Consultant Dick Eskes of the
Christian Reformed World Relief Committee said
a major problem is the "diffuse" nature of the
disaster.
  * El Ni¤o is taking an unusually heavy toll on
Latin America, with heavy rains and flooding
common in some areas, and drought in others.
"There is a joke in Latin America now that La
Ni¤a, the other gender, is responsible for the
drought," said the Rev. Oscar Bolioli, Director
of the Latin America and the Caribbean Office
for CWS.  Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru have been
particularly hard hit.  CWS has requested
$54,000 from its member communions to help
relief and development organizations in these
countries to provide food, kitchen utensils,
medicines, blankets, mosquito nets, water
purification and fumigation products,
reconstruction materials and tents for
temporary shelters.  CWS is assisting peasants
in isolated rural areas, including 37
indigenous Guaranies del Itika Guasu
communities in Bolivia which face the threat of
hunger, as well as communities in marginalized
urban areas such as Lima, Peru.
  * Responding to the worst flooding in nearly 40
years in central and southern Somalia, CWS sent
$30,000 in Emergency Blanket Funds to Joint
Relief and Rehabilitation Services (JRRS), a
CWS partner based in Somalia and Kenya, for
some 5,000 flood survivors in Somalia's Juba
Valley.  CWS sought an additional $100,000 in
support of a JRRS request for anti-malaria
drugs, food and relief supplies.  Compounding
the disaster is the lack of local capacity to
address needs.  Somalia is without a central
government and is ruled by various warring
factions.

CWS Emergency Response Office staff and
consultants agree that El Ni¤o will continue to
cause devastation in coming months, increasing the
need for disaster mitigation in vulnerable regions.
"A disaster of this severity and this long-lasting
can be a real strain on resources," Mr. Augsburger
said, "so we will be emphasizing training and
preparedness to get the most from our resources."

For more information about the aforementioned
areas and the effects of El Ni¤o, contact CWS
Emergency Response at 212-870-3151 or via e-mail
CWS_DROFFICE@ecunet.org  Updated information can
also be found on the CWS internet web site:
http://www.ncccusa.org/CWS/emre

-end-
 -0-