From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Worship Resource Needs Researched

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 05 Mar 1998 17:00:31

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 6, 1998

ELCA WORSHIP RESOURCE NEEDS RESEARCHED
98-09-042-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Congregations of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America want worship resources that are easy to use and accessible to new
members and visitors, according to a recent survey.  The Board for the
Division for Congregational Ministries heard the survey results at its
meeting here Feb. 28 - March 1.
     "The survey continues our effort to gain insight into a
congregation's practice and preferences in the area of worship," said the
Rev. Wyvetta Bullock, executive director for the Division for
Congregational Ministries.  Key findings of the study dealt with worship
planning, worship resource materials and the "changing scene" in worship.
     "We've learned that at least half of our congregations have made an
effort to introduce worship styles and practices that are somewhat more
modernized," Bullock said.  "While most of these changes have been
incremental, just over half of the congregations surveyed described their
service as having contemporary elements in terms of worship resources."
     The survey was distributed to 400 congregations.  "In the case of
this study, having 334 respondents means that were we to ask the same
questions of all ELCA congregations their responses would be the same, plus
or minus just above 3 percent.  Given 3 percentage points either way, it's
highly probable that these replies represent the opinions of all pastors of
ELCA congregations," reported the Rev. Michael Rothaar, director for
planning.
     When congregations envision what should happen in worship, about 70
percent of congregational leaders surveyed emphasized "the renewal and
energizing of current members."  They also gave high priority -- 63 percent
-- to two other goals: providing challenges to their members, and helping
members and visitors cope with daily life situations, stated the report.   "That's some data that needs to be chewed on," said the Rev. John B.
Mawhirter, Zion Lutheran Church, Sandusky, Ohio.  "This strikes at the
heart of evangelism," said the board member.
     "The division's intention in conducting the study was to do market
research," said Bullock.  "We intend to apply this research to meet the
ministry needs of congregations," she said.
     "Another study, to be completed late this year, will look at ELCA
congregations whose history and membership trends suggest that they will be
among the strongest in the years ahead.  A study focusing on congregations
regarded among their peers as exemplary for the quality of their worship
will also be conducted in 1998," Bullock said.
      "We believe studies like this one are very valuable," Bullock said.
"A previous study in 1993 had informed the division's decision to publish
'With One Voice,' a supplement to the 'Lutheran Book of Worship,' currently
in use in 52 two percent of our congregations."
     Bullock said the study did not point the division "in the direction
to produce another worship supplement, but there does seem to be an ongoing
market opportunity to produce resources featuring contemporary music and
liturgies."
     In a related action the board recommended a new Spanish-language
worship resource called, "Libro de Liturgia y Cántico" (Book of Liturgy and
Religious Song).  It features four musical settings of the Liturgy
representative of the Spanish Caribbean, Central and South America and
Mexico.
     "The book is a complete Spanish-language resource designed to fulfill
the worship needs of Lutheran communities in the Americas," said Evelyn B.
Soto, director for multilingual and culture specific resources.  Soto said
the book was developed by Latino theologians, musicians and composers.
     "For hundreds of years the Anglo community has shared with us their
worship materials, and we have translated them from English to Spanish,"
said Angel M. Mattos, Bayamón, Puerto Rico, in an interview.  "This time we
want to share with the Anglo community our music and liturgies.  The book
contains English translations for at least 30 percent of its hymns," he
said.  Mattos is the project manager for the worship book.
     The 672-page, hard-cover book will be available in April.  A 60-minute audio cassette will accompany the book.
     The Rev. Kelly Chatman, director for youth ministries, reported to
the board that he continues to hear concerns regarding a resolution passed
by the Lutheran Youth Organization at its 1997 convention.  The resolution
asks the church to "investigate" the feasibility of an event for gay,
lesbian and bisexual youth to immediately precede the triennial ELCA Youth
Gathering.  Two other events that precede the gathering are the Definitely
Abled Youth Leadership Event (DAYLE) and the Multicultural Youth Leadership
Event (MYLE).
     Some members of the church shared concerns about intervention by
adults, Chatman said.  "When the resolution was written and debated by the
youth at the convention, there was no adult involvement," he said.
     "Another concern is that some people are viewing this action as a
statement about sexuality.  It is not.  It is about engaging in ministry
with gay, lesbian and bisexual young people," Chatman said.
     "The real power behind the resolution, for me, is the way youth at
the convention shared example after example of how their congregations and
families engage in meaningful ministry with gay, lesbian and bisexual
people," Chatman said.
     "Any expectation that the investigation by the church will result in
an event is extremely premature," Chatman reported.   The board for the
youth organization, in a 1997 meeting, also committed to a 10-month focus
on prayer and ministry and invites the church to join the youth
organization in discerning how to best minister with gay, lesbian and
bisexual youth who are living in their schools, homes, churches and
communities," he said.
     "The youth of the church are deeply rooted in love and respect for
the church.  Their focus and intent is to share the youth organization as a
rich reservoir of leadership invested in the future and ministry of this
church.  The Board requests that ELCA bishops, pastors and families engage
and mentor our youth as they struggle with difficult issues.  This is why
they have established April 29, 1998, as a day for communication on the
Internet and a time for prayer and engagement with pastors, theologians and
families," said Chatman.
     The resolution "is a challenge, but it is good for the church," said
board member Jim Myers, Kailua, Hawaii.
     "The youth brought the issue to the table for the church to think
about," said the Rev. Ronald B. Ferrell, Rock Island, Ill.  "The division
should take the responsibility of becoming a mentor to the Lutheran Youth
Organization.  The youth organization has been on the cutting edge of
ministry for this church," said the board member.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html