From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AMEN! Christians unite in prayer for UK

From George Conklin <gconklin@igc.apc.org>
Date Tue, 10 Mar 1998 08:44:49 -0800 (PST)

For Immediate Release: 2nd March 1998

The Evangelical Alliance today issued a nationwide call to
prayer, inviting Christians from all denominations and
traditions throughout the country to unite in prayer for the
United Kingdom on June 7th and beyond.

The day of prayer, which has been called Amen! A Day to
Pray, is the idea of Rev Joel Edwards, general director of
the Evangelical Alliance, and fulfills a longing of many
Christians for united prayer for our nations. The day is
being facilitated by the Evangelical Alliance, after
consultation with Churches Together in England, with wide
support from church leaders.

The last time a similar event was held was during World War
2, when King George VI called four National Days of Prayer
and the Evangelical Alliance organised two hugely successful
prayer rallies.  The Daily Telegraph stated at the time that
"the prayers of the nation were answered."

The need for national united prayer is just as great 50
years on as our society and family life disintegrates.

10,000 children call Childlike for help every single day.
The national divorce rate is the second highest in the
European Union - and Christian families are under the same
pressures as those outside the church, with four out of
every ten clergy marriages expected to end in divorce.

Pop music channel MTV recently revealed disturbing figures
showing that while four percent of UK young people go to
church, 15 percent had visited spiritualist mediums and 20
percent have used a ouija board.

That is why, after consultation with some 60 church and
prayer leaders, four themes have been chosen for the day:

Community Life: Changing where we live.
Evangelisation: Making Jesus Known.
Government and Leadership: Supporting those who lead.
Revival: Seeing the United Kingdom Change.

Joel Edwards commented: "For the first time in over fifty
years, here is a day for Christians throughout the United
Kingdom to unite in prayer for our land.

"On that day, Christians can all take a moment - and
hopefully longer - to pray for our nations.  Doing so as
many churches, groups of friends, families and as
individuals.  And in the way most appropriate and helpful
for them.

"Sunday 7th June is a day when voices will rise across the
land.  To thank God for his goodness as we anticipate the
challenges of the new millennium and to repent for our
failure to be the people we should be.  And to ask for his
urgent help.

"Amen! A Day to Pray responds to a growing desire for
heart-felt intercession that reaches across Christian
traditions.  A day that everyone can be part of - no matter
their age or church background."

A resource pack providing briefing notes, overhead slides
and prayer pointers on the four themes is in production.
The packs will be available to purchase for stlg7.00 plus stlg2.00
postage and packing.  Evangelical Alliance member churches
will receive one free copy with their April/May edition of A
Word in Your Ear.

Further details are available by writing to: Amen! A Day to
Pray, Freepost, 186 Kennington Park Road, London, SE11  4BP
or by telephone the Amen! A Day to Pray hotline on 0171-207
2108.

ENDS

For Further Information, contact Gavin Drake:
mailto:gdrake@eauk.org

Evangelical Alliance UK,
Whitefield House,
186 Kennington Park Road,