From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

DNS - Black clergy call for halt to Georgia regional ministers s

From "Wilma Shuffitt" <WILMAS@oc.disciples.org>
Date 12 Mar 1998 06:00:43

     Title: Black clergy call for halt to Georgia regional
     minister's search
     Date: March 11, 1998
     Disciples News Service
     Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
     Contact: Clifford L. Willis
     Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
     on the web: http//www.disciples.org

     98b-14

         DECATUR, Ga. (DNS) -- African American clergy of the
     Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) March 5 called on the
     denomination's Georgia region to suspend the search for a new
     executive following the November rejection of an African
     American candidate by its governing board.

         In a news conference at Ray of Hope Christian Church,
     here, the Black Ministers' Fellowship specifically asked that
     the process be halted until members of the regional board
     undergo anti-racism training.

         A subsequent meeting of Georgia board members with
     General Minister and President Richard L. Hamm led to a
     commitment to participate in the training module. The
     training process, however, likely would not begin until next
     fall, Hamm said. African American clergy were adamant that
     training  be completed before the search is finished.

         The clergy group's demand stems from a November 1997
     decision by the regional body which failed to forward the
     Rev. William H. Edwards' name to the Georgia Regional
     Assembly for vote as regional minister. In the meeting,
     Edwards received eight of 15 votes by regional board members.
     The regional constitution requires a two-thirds vote, or 10
     tallies, to forward a nominee's name to the assembly for
     action.

         The clergy group decried what it viewed as the element
     of racism involved in the decision. In rejecting Edwards'
     candidacy "the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in
     Georgia failed to elect the most qualified candidate," said
     the Rev. Thomas L. Murray, Memphis, reading from a letter
     addressed to the regional board. Murray is currently interim
     minister of Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church.

         "In a time wherein the issue of race should have been
     well behind us . . .  we find it reprehensible that a region
     of our church would still manifest and exhibit the actions
     and behavior which our country has worked so hard to
     overcome," read the statement. The actions of the Georgia
     region underscore the need for affirmative action policies
     within the denomination and in society, according to the
     church leaders.

                              -- more --add 1-1-1/Black Ministers
Retreat
     Disciples News Service
     98b-14

         The Georgia regional office received the letter March
     6, according to the Rev. Clinton Wolf. The interim regional
     minister, however, hadn't "had time to share it with anybody"
     other than regional Moderator Eddie K. Parker of Augusta.

         In a column printed in the March edition of The
     Christian Messenger, Parker said the new regional board
     confesses with previous board members that the group's
     decision "was impacted by many factors, attitudes and
     beliefs."

         In the January meeting with General Minister and
     President Richard L. Hamm "it was acknowledged that racism
     and regionalism were strong issues that divided the board
     members, and by extension, the members of the Christian
     Church in Georgia," Parker added.  "The current board wishes
     to acknowledge and apologize for the hurt, anger,
     astonishment, and misunderstanding that has resulted."

         Parker said he would share the fellowship's letter with
     the Georgia Regional Board March 31. Wolf anticipates that
     the board will formally respond to the letter sometime early
     in April.

                           -- end --

     [Editor's note: The text of the letter from the Black
          Minister's Fellowship is attached.]An Open Letter to the
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
                          in Georgia

         The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Georgia
     failed to elect the most qualified candidate, the Reverend
     Dr. William H. Edwards, for the position of Regional
     Minister. According to retired Georgia Regional Minister
     David L. Alexander, in a recent press release from the
     Disciples News Service, Reverend Dr. Edwards' race was one of
     the contributing factors. As a result, those of us gathered
     for the 24th Annual Black Minister's Retreat meeting in
     Atlanta, Ga., and the Black Minister's Fellowship of the
     Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) are voicing our
     extreme disappointment, hurt, and total disgust with the
     actions of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in
     Georgia.

         In a time wherein the issue of race should have been
     well behind us, and a place wherein so many of the strides
     towards equity and parity have been made, we find it
     reprehensible that a region of our church would still
     manifest and exhibit the actions and behavior which our
     country has worked so hard to overcome.

         As ministers we are committed to the preaching,
     teaching, and living of the gospel. We name racism as sin. We
     call on the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Georgia
     to repent of the transgression committed against Reverend Dr.
     Edwards, African-American Disciples, and all people who stand
     for justice and righteousness. We ask that the Christian
     Church (Disciples of Christ) in Georgia suspend the Regional
     Minister search process until the anti-racism training
     process is complete. We also ask that this search process not
     be a repeat of the first; we hope race is not an issue in the
     selection of the Regional Minister of the Christian Church
     (Disciples of Christ) in Georgia.

         We are standing together as African -American churches
     and pastors in an act of protest to ensure that this
     injustice will be exposed to people of goodwill everywhere.
     The faithless actions of the Christian Church (Disciples of
     Christ) in Georgia underscore the clear and present need for
     affirmative action policies within the structures of the
     Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in particular, and our
     society in general.

         In conclusion we state emphatically that the absence of
     racial justice in the life of the Christian Church (Disciples
     of Christ) in Georgia precludes any realistic chances for
     true wholeness within our church.

         The undersigned faithfully await a specific response
     from the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Georgia to
     the above concerns.

                    In the love of Christ,

                    24th Annual Black Minister's Retreat and