From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Congregation Finds Good in Arson

From Frank Imhoff <FRANKI@elca.org>
Date 17 Mar 1998 16:19:31

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 17, 1998

LUTHERAN CONGREGATION FINDS GOOD IN ARSON
98-054-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Dallas police arrested four youth on arson charges
March 5 shortly after fire destroyed the office and fellowship hall of
Bethany Lutheran Church, a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America.  The young men range in age from 16 to 20 years.
     The vandalism spread through the church's neighborhood.  Cars were
splashed with acid, and tires were slashed.  Racial slurs and graffiti were
painted on homes and an elementary school.
     "My sadness is not for us. It is for those people who don't know the
joy of life,'' the Rev. Carol Spencer said of the vandals.
     The incident attracted national attention when "The Dallas Morning
News" reported that one teen told detectives he and the others were
vampires.  Police told the paper's reporter that the teens admitted to
abusing drugs and setting fire to the church.
     "We can fix our building.  We have very good insurance and many
helping hands in the congregation and neighborhood," said Neila Petrick,
the congregation's outreach chairperson.  "Our main concern is to reach out
to the four young men.  We have already begun that effort."
     Brandon Lee Ramsey, one of the young men arrested for the fire,
worshiped with the congregation on March 15.  "He expressed his deep regret
for what happened and was embraced by many of Bethany's members," said
Petrick.  Ramsey and several of his friends helped move furniture and toys
so the church's Early Childhood Development Center could re-open March 17.
     Petrick said members of the congregation are meeting informally with
the families of the young men.  The congregation also hopes to invite
everyone in the neighborhood touched by the damage to meet at the church to
discuss the event.
     "We'll find what's good in this.  It's brought the congregation
closer together," said Petrick.  Volunteers have done a lot of painting and
clearing of debris.
     "I've been praying for greater visibility for my church.  God said,
'Okay, are you sure?'" Petrick joked.
     "There's been a tremendous outpouring from neighborhood churches and
neighbors to extend offers of help to us.  So, we have just been surrounded
by love," she added.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html