From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Fund Growing to Help Retired Lutheran Church Workers

From Frank Imhoff <FRANKI@elca.org>
Date 20 Mar 1998 13:23:37

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 20, 1998

FUND GROWING TO HELP RETIRED LUTHERAN CHURCH WORKERS
98-061-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Many pastors and lay employees of the church work
for rewards beyond financial consideration.  Some find they cannot afford
retirement.  The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is trying to
change that by strengthening the monthly incomes of retirees or their
surviving spouses.
     The 1993 ELCA Churchwide Assembly created the Special Needs
Retirement Fund to supplement some retirement incomes.  At the end of
January the fund had a balance of $378,000, said the Rev. Michael Cooper-
White, director of the ELCA's Department for Synodical Relations.
     The fund has been growing slowly through contributions sent to the
ELCA Office of the Treasurer from individuals, congregations and other
organizations.  It has only recently reached a level that supports payments
from the ELCA Board of Pensions to low-income retirees or their surviving
spouses.
     Fifty-three low-income retired plan members or their survivors shared
$95,000 from the fund in 1997 to help pay for living expenses such as food
and housing.  Monthly payments ranged from $21 to $600, depending on a
recipient's need.
     "A sincere thank you for the check," one recipient wrote back.  "My
house is 52 years old, and I have to replace a few windows!  So this money
came at a perfect time."
     "I had found it quite difficult to make ends meet," wrote another.
"Now I am so greatly relieved!  I have thanked my Father in heaven for this
change in my circumstances, and now I want to pass my thanks on to you."
     "The testimonies of our worthy retirees speak eloquent words of
appreciation to all of us who contribute to the fund," said Cooper-White.
"Each subsidy check we send provides needed financial support and bears a
message of gratitude:  Well done, good and faithful servant of God.'"
     Money for the fund is not included in the ELCA's budget.  "With no
regular budgetary allocations, the fund's ability to continue providing
pension subsidy to our low-income retired servants depends upon continuing
contributions from individuals and congregations," said Cooper-White.
     "Our stewardship of the Special Needs Retirement Fund goes beyond
administering payments to devoted servants of this church," said John G.
Kapanke, president of the ELCA Board of Pensions, Minneapolis.  "The fund
serves such a great need that the board has pledged all undesignated gifts
and bequests that it receives each year to supporting the fund."
     The fund benefits the families of pastors and lay employees of ELCA
synods, seminaries and churchwide units who participated in the church's
pension plan at least 20 years.  To be eligible recipients must have a
total income from all sources of less than $1,000 a month ($1,250 if
married) and assets of less than $15,000 (exclusive of home equity of up to
$60,000).  Recipients must reapply each year.  Applications are currently
being accepted for payments beginning in June.
     The size of a retired worker's pension check depends on the amount of
money in the worker's pension account at retirement.  Contributions to that
account are usually a percentage of the worker's salary.  So, generally, a
church worker who received a small salary will also receive a smaller
pension than those with larger incomes.
     In preparation for the 1993 assembly's consideration, the Division
for Ministry conducted a survey of almost 1,900 full-time ELCA clergy.  The
study found four factors contribute significantly to the level of a
pastor's compensation:
     -- the number of years spent in the ordained ministry;
     -- parish growth and giving;
     -- the size of the parish; and
     -- the average local household income.

For information contact: