From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Welcomes Cuba Flights

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 20 Mar 1998 18:57:39

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

NCC3/20/98             FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC WELCOMES RESUMPTION OF DIRECT AID FLIGHTS FROM U.S.
TO CUBA

 NEW YORK, March 20 - The National Council of
Churches, and especially its humanitarian assistance
ministry, Church World Service, expressed delight today
with the Clinton Administration's easing of restrictions
on direct aid flights from the United States to Cuba and
of some other sanctions.

 "It is our deepest hope that the reinstatement of
direct flights will help reunify Cuban families here and
abroad, as well as guarantee the swift delivery of
critical food and medicines to a people who have
suffered mightily under the U.S. embargo," said the Rev.
Dr. Rodney I. Page, CWS Executive Director.

NCC General Secretary Joan B. Campbell said today
that the Council's humanitarian assistance to Cuba will
be "easier to arrange and less costly to accomplish,"
thanks to the decision.

 Over the past six years, the NCC - through its
Church World Service ministry - has sent 38 shipments of
food, medicines, medical equipment, school supplies and
other goods to Cuba totaling nearly 300 tons with a
market value of more than $7 million.  CWS assistance is
targetted to the most vulnerable members of Cuban
society - women, children and the elderly.

 The President's decision also creates simpler and
faster licensing procedures for exporting medicines and
medical devices to Cuba, and allows Cuban Americans to
send money to relatives in Cuba.  "We are pleased to
know that President Clinton has been listening to the
growing clamor of the churches, most recently expressed
by His Holiness, Pope John Paul II, during his visit to
Cuba and also by the NCC's general secretary," Dr. Page
said.  Drs. Page and Campbell both have visited Cuba
during the last several months.

 The NCC has called repeatedly for the
normalization of relations between the U.S. and Cuba,
including a lifting of the U.S. embargo against Cuba.
Dr. Campbell's most recent letter to President Clinton
on the subject was sent March 4, 1998.  "We hope and
pray that today's actions by the U.S. government will
serve as a stepping stone that will lead Cuba and the
United States to discuss differences seriously, work
toward reconciliation and insure the lifting of the U.S.
embargo and the normalization of relations," Dr. Page
concluded.

-end-
 -0-