From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA on Anti-Advocacy Bill

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 23 Mar 1998 10:58:42

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2252
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

NCC3/23/98    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NATIONAL COUNCIL OF CHURCHES LAUNCHES "URGENT
ACTION" APPEAL ON ATTEMPTS TO MUZZLE ADVOCACY FOR
JUSTICE BY RELIGIOUS BODIES

 NEW YORK, March 20 ----The National Council of
Churches has launched an urgent, sharply worded
protest of  a proposal expected to go before the
U.S. House of Representatives next week that would
severely limit churches' public advocacy for the
common good, long a vital part of their ministry.

 Rep. William Thomas (R-Calif.), Chair of the
House Oversight Committee, on Wednesday (March 18)
added the provision to H.R.3485, the proposed
Campaign Finance and Election Integrity Act. The
provision would effectively eliminate the ability of
churches and other non-profits to advocate for or
against any federal laws or regulations.

 "If this legislation stands, every one of us
will be muzzled on public policy," wrote the Rev.
Dr. Joan B. Campbell, NCC General Secretary, in an
advisory faxed today (March 20) to heads of the
Council's 34 member communions (denominations),
along with a comment by the group OMB Watch.

 "It is urgent that letters of protest go to
Members of the House of Representatives
immediately," she said.  "Thank you for joining with
me in protesting this legislation, so cleverly
attached to an issue we care about, campaign finance
reform."

 Dr. Campbell already has sent her own letter of
protest to Mr. Thomas, and shared copies with all
Members of Congress and NCC communion heads, besides
releasing it publicly.

 In a comment on the proposed legislation, the
NCC's Associate General Secretary for Public Policy,
the Rev. Dr. Albert M. Pennybacker, said that "a
muzzled church cannot be about its ministry in
Christ's name.  The amended bill's impact, I
believe, would be to privatize religion and allow
our common life to wander without a call to justice
or an anchor of moral integrity."

 He continued, "I believe it constitutes a
violation of the First Amendment's guarantee of the
`free exercise' of religious faith.  One person's
definition of religion's `political activity,'
effectively banned by the proposed legislation, is
another's courageous pursuit of `justice for all.'

 "For the NCC and our member communions,
advocacy has never been focused on seeking church
advantages," Dr. Pennybacker said.  "It has
consistently sought to serve the well-being of all
people, whom we believe to be God's people.  If this
current bill passes, American Christians will not
stand for it!  It will be tested at least in the
courts and perhaps in the streets."

 The text of Dr. Campbell's letter to Mr. Thomas
follows.

* * * *

The Honorable William M. Thomas
Chairman, House Oversight Committee
U.S. House of Representatives
1309 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC  20515

Dear Chairman Thomas:

On behalf of the 34 national church bodies (see
attached listing) who constitute the National
Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA, I
write to protest the provision added to H.R. 3485,
the Campaign Reform and Election Integrity Act, that
would severely limit public advocacy by
non-profit and religious institutions.  Public
advocacy for the common good has long been a vital
part of the churches' ministries.  Historically in
this country it has been affirmed as the church's
role in caring for public well-being.  To limit such
a role as proposed is totally unacceptable.
When Americans of all stripes are informed, they
will join the protest.  I voice our opposition
totally!

Further, the tactic of a last-minute addition is
less than worthy of your leadership of the Committee
and disrespectful of the House of Representatives as
a responsible deliberative body.  I am astonished
that you would pursue such a deceptive course.

Finally, I want you to know that I am sharing this
letter with all Members of Congress, with the heads
of our member churches and with the press.  The
attempt to muzzle the voices of religious
communities raised on behalf of "justice for all"
will not prevail.

Cordially,

(Rev. Dr.) Joan Brown Campbell
General Secretary