From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CORRECTION (This is a corrected version of release no. 98b-14)

From DISCNEWS.parti@ecunet.org (DISCNEWS)
Date 25 Mar 1998 11:28:04

Black clergy call for halt to Georgia regional minister's search
Date: March 11, 1998
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the web: http//www.disciples.org

98b-14

     DECATUR, Ga. (DNS) -- African American clergy of the Christian
Church (Disciples of Christ) March 5 called on the denomination's Georgia
region to suspend the search for a new executive following the November
rejection of an African American candidate by its governing board.

     In a news conference at Ray of Hope Christian Church, here, the Black
Ministers' Fellowship specifically asked that the process be halted until members
of the regional board undergo anti-racism training.

     A Jan. 13 meeting of Georgia board members with General Minister and
President Richard L. Hamm led to a commitment to participate in the training
module. The training process, however, likely would not begin until next fall,
Hamm said. African American clergy were adamant that training be completed
before the search is finished.

     The clergy group's demand stems from a November 1997 decision by the
regional body which failed to forward the Rev. William H. Edwards' name to the
Georgia Regional Assembly for vote as regional minister. In the meeting, Edwards
received eight of 15 votes by regional board members. The regional constitution
requires a two-thirds vote, or 10 tallies, to forward a nominee's name to the
assembly for action.

     The clergy group decried what it viewed as the element of racism
involved in the decision. In rejecting Edwards' candidacy "the Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ) in Georgia failed to elect the most qualified candidate," said
the Rev. Thomas L. Murray, Memphis, reading from a letter addressed to the
regional board. Murray is currently interim minister of Mississippi Boulevard
Christian Church.

     "In a time wherein the issue of race should have been well behind us . . .
we find it reprehensible that a region of our church would still manifest and
exhibit the actions and behavior which our country has worked so hard to
overcome," read the statement. The actions of the Georgia region underscore the
need for affirmative action policies within the denomination and in society,
according to the church leaders.   The Georgia regional office received the letter March 6, according to the
Rev. Clinton Wolf. The interim regional minister, however, hadn't "had time to
share it with anybody" other than regional Moderator Eddie K. Parker of Augusta.

     In a column printed in the March edition of The Christian Messenger,
Parker said the new regional board confesses with previous board members that
the group's decision "was impacted by many factors, attitudes and beliefs."

     In the January meeting with General Minister and President Richard L.
Hamm "it was acknowledged that racism and regionalism were strong issues that
divided the board members, and by extension, the members of the Christian
Church in Georgia," Parker added.  "The current board wishes to acknowledge
and apologize for the hurt, anger, astonishment, and misunderstanding that has
resulted."

     Parker said he would share the fellowship's letter with the Georgia
Regional Board March 31. Wolf anticipates that the board will formally respond
to the letter sometime early in April.

                   -- end --

[Editor's note: The text of the letter from the Black Minister's Fellowship is
attached.]

An Open Letter to the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Georgia

     The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Georgia failed to elect the
most qualified candidate, the Reverend Dr. William H. Edwards, for the position
of Regional Minister. According to retired Georgia Regional Minister David L.
Alexander, in a recent press release from the Disciples News Service, Reverend
Dr. Edwards' race was one of the contributing factors. As a result, those of us
gathered for the 24th Annual Black Minister's Retreat meeting in Atlanta, Ga.,
and the Black Minister's Fellowship of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
are voicing our extreme disappointment, hurt, and total disgust with the actions of
the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Georgia.

     In a time wherein the issue of race should have been well behind us, and a
place wherein so many of the strides towards equity and parity have been made,
we find it reprehensible that a region of our church would still manifest and
exhibit the actions and behavior which our country has worked so hard to
overcome.

     As ministers we are committed to the preaching, teaching, and living of
the gospel. We name racism as sin. We call on the Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ) in Georgia to repent of the transgression committed against Reverend Dr.
Edwards, African-American Disciples, and all people who stand for justice and
righteousness. We ask that the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Georgia
suspend the Regional Minister search process until the anti-racism training
process is complete. We also ask that this search process not be a repeat of the
first; we hope race is not an issue in the selection of the Regional Minister of the
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Georgia.

     We are standing together as African -American churches and pastors in an
act of protest to ensure that this injustice will be exposed to people of goodwill
everywhere. The faithless actions of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in
Georgia underscore the clear and present need for affirmative action policies
within the structures of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in particular,
and our society in general.

     In conclusion we state emphatically that the absence of racial justice in
the life of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Georgia precludes any
realistic chances for true wholeness within our church.

     The undersigned faithfully await a specific response from the Christian
Church (Disciples of Christ) in Georgia to the above concerns.

                              In the love of Christ,

                              24th Annual Black Minister's Retreat and
                              The Black Minister's Fellowship of the  Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

DISCNEWS - inbox for Disciples News Service, Office of Communication, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), PO Box 1986 Indianapolis, IN 46206, tele. (317) 635-3100, (DISCNEWS@ecunet.org) Wilma Shuffitt, News and Information Assistant; (CWILLIS@oc.disciples.org) Cliff Willis, Director of News and Information; (CMILLER@oc.disciples.org) Executive Director