From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA-USCC Statement on Nigeria

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 26 Mar 1998 11:24:40

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
USA
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

A Joint Statement by:

Archbishop Theodore E. McCarrick
Chairman, Committee on International Policy
UNITED STATES CATHOLIC CONFERENCE

Rev. Dr. Joan B. Campbell
General Secretary
NATIONAL COUNCIL OF CHURCHES

March 25, 1998

 In celebration of our unity as partners in
search of the common good and in recognition of the
importance of unity and concerted action, we join
together in our efforts to promote a climate of
solidarity among all people of good will.  And in
our mutual desire to see positive change in the
troubled land of Nigeria we stand in solidarity with
the people of Nigeria, particularly her poor, her
disenfranchised and her suffering.

 We are deeply saddened by Nigeria's current
condition, which has continued to worsen as a result
of the annulled federal elections of June 1993. The
current leader, General Sani Abacha, has proclaimed
that a transition to civilian rule will take place
in 1998, although most in the international
community doubt that this will occur.  Many fear
that the military's transition program will serve
only to legitimize the current military regime, a
regime which has been openly condemned for its gross
violations of human rights.

 The Nigerian people have loudly proclaimed
their desire to see a legitimate democratic
transition.  In their September 1997 statement, the
Catholic bishops of Nigeria remarked:

"It is against natural justice and therefore
unethical for a military government to take upon
itself the role of independent arbiter and be at the
same time a contestant in the same electoral
process. Such an action does not provide a climate
that is conducive to free and fair elections."

As national elections draw near, we implore the
current leadership to allow open dialogue and loyal
collaboration for the benefit of every Nigerian
regardless of ethno-linguistic, religious, or socio-
economic status.

 Blessed with vast human potential and natural
resources, Nigeria is a nation which honors the
family, respects the elderly and regards children as
a blessing, yet is so ravaged by injustice that her
peace is threatened.  Millions of her people
languish in poverty, suffer from malnutrition,
hunger, illiteracy, and persistent unemployment.  We
believe that this is an unacceptable reality that
can only be reversed through mutual cooperation
among all people of good will.  We encourage
Nigeria's leaders, divided as they are by ethno-
linguistic distinctions, to work to build bridges of
peace on a foundation of understanding and
reconciliation among their peoples so that true and
open dialogue and partnership may result.

 The human person has been endowed with the
inalienable rights to participate in the political
life of the country, and to speak and worship freely
without fear of persecution.  In Nigeria however,
free expression, association and movement are
restricted by the routine harassment and
imprisonment of human rights defenders, journalists,
and members of  political opposition groups. History
has shown that when these rights are denied, the
result is polarization which impedes dialogue and
prevents the development of  true partnerships that
are capable of overcoming obstacles and resolving
deadlocks.

 Since 1993 hundreds of political prisoners have
been detained without charge or trial, among them
the declared winner of the 1993 presidential
elections, Moshood Abiola, social activists Dr. Beko
Ransome-Kuti, former head of state General Olusegun
Obasanjo, and Ogoni environmental activists who
sought to protect their land from the ravages of
irresponsible industrial development and corporate
exploitation.  It is our view that true and lasting
peace will remain an elusive goal in Nigeria as long
as these individuals remain imprisoned.

 It is our fervent prayer that the recent visit
to Nigeria by His Holiness Pope John Paul II will
help to bring about  reconciliation along with
justice, and the restoration of democracy.
Moreover, we pray that General Sani Abacha will take
heed of the Pope's call for the immediate release of
political prisoners, and that the United States
government will stand in solidarity with the
Nigerian people as they seek to re-claim their human
rights through democratic elections this August.

 In the name of love, generosity, kindness,
friendship and peace, we pray that the Nigerian
people will move beyond the kinds of viewpoints or
fixed positions that tend to make dialogue difficult
or impossible.  We believe that as the Nigerian
people move to consolidate national unity amongst
themselves transnational unity amongst all of Africa
can result.  We also pray that the Nigerian
leadership, mindful of their calling to channel the
riches of Nigeria for the betterment of all, will
strongly reject those things which adversely affect
the freedoms and the human rights of the individual,
so that the serene climate of human freedom and
development may predominate in their beautiful yet
troubled land.
 -0-