From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Hunger Appeal Earned $11.7 Million

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 26 Mar 1998 15:33:25

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 26, 1998

ELCA HUNGER APPEAL EARNED $11.7 MILLION
98-066-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's World
Hunger Appeal raised $11.7 million, reaching 99.8 percent of it's goal for
1997.  "We fell $405,596 short of our goal," said the Rev. Roger O.
Livdahl, director of the appeal.
       "It is disappointing news that we've received less than last year,"
said the Rev. John L. Halvorson, ELCA director for world hunger ministries.
"The good news is that we're able to meet all of our commitments to
international and domestic partners," he said.
     "Another piece of good news is a contribution from Women of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America has increased.  The women's
organization allocated $150,000 but gave $231,381," said Halvorson.
     Bequest contributions totaled $521,298, an increase of $70,000.
Endowment contributions increased by $6,500, totaling $126,500.
     "Giving from ELCA synods was down, which is significant since about
85 percent of the appeal's income is received from there," said Halvorson.
ELCA synod contributions totaled $9,204,291, which is $375,709 less than
budgeted.  Giving from individuals and congregations also fell short of its
$1,900,000 goal by $189,066.
     "The success of the appeal is based largely on the premise that the
appeal belongs to the ELCA's congregations and synods," Halvorson said.
"We are working closer with ELCA synod bishops and we think that is making
a difference.  We also plan to do some detective work to determine why the
appeal's budget total came up short again this year," he said.
     "We feared, early on, that we would not reach the full $12.2
million," said Livdahl.  "A reserve balance of $1,063,060 was set up to
help make all our commitments to agencies and programs.  We will begin 1998
with a reserve balance of $955,111," he said.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html