From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop's Letter to Jonesboro

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 31 Mar 1998 16:15:37

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 31, 1998

ELCA PRESIDING BISHOP'S LETTER TO JONESBORO
98-070-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Jonesboro (Ark.) Ministerial Alliance is
sponsoring a "Service for Hope and Healing" on March 31 in the Arkansas
State University Convocation Center.  About 10,000 people are expected to
attend the memorial for five victims of a shooting incident March 24 at
Jonesboro's Westside Middle School.
     The Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America, issued a letter to the ELCA congregation in
Jonesboro:

March 30, 1998

The Rev. Laird Duran
Our Saviour Lutheran Church
2926 Wood Street
Jonesboro, AR 72404

Dear Pastor Duran:

On behalf of the other 5.2 million members of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America, as well as personally, I want to express our deepest
concern and compassion to you, the people of Jonesboro and surrounding
communities.

Throughout our nation and around the world God's faithful people offer
their prayers for you who suffer a profound loss.  The Psalmist's prayer
utters both our need and our hope, "Be to me a rock of refuge, a strong
fortress to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress" (Psalm 71).

Along with other Christian churches around the world, the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America observes the 40-day season of Lent.  As we
follow our Lord Jesus Christ on His journey to the crucifixion, we are
reminded that God is with us in the midst of our deepest pain and
suffering.  In the promise of Jesus' resurrection we cling to an abiding
hope that death is not the final word.  Those who have died are entrusted
into the larger life of God.  I hope that this good news can be a word of
comfort and healing to all who mourn in Jonesboro.

Please know that in the days ahead, as your community seeks to regain a
measure of peace and stability, we of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America stand with you.  We are grateful for the caring ministry of Pastor
Duran and the members of Our Saviour Lutheran congregation, as well that of
all our Christian sisters and brothers in the other churches of the
Jonesboro community.  May God be with you all.

Faithfully in Christ,
H. George Anderson
Presiding Bishop

For information contact: