From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Promote Food Stamps for Legal Immigrants

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 01 Apr 1998 12:32:10

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 2, 1998

LUTHERANS PROMOTE FOOD STAMPS FOR LEGAL IMMIGRANTS
98-12-073-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- "A society's health can be measured by how it
treats those in its midst who are most impoverished," the Rev. Russell O.
Siler, director of the Lutheran Office for Governmental Affairs in
Washington, D.C., wrote March 19 to members of the U.S. Senate and House
Agriculture Committees.  "It is imperative that restoration of food stamp
benefits to legal immigrants be your number one priority."
     "I urge you to use at least half of any funds made available through
changes in the Food Stamp Program's administrative reimbursement to the
states to restore food stamps to the most vulnerable of needy legal
immigrants and refugees," wrote Siler.  LOGA is the federal public policy
advocacy office of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
     Studies indicate that about 800,000 people lost benefits and about $3
billion is needed to restore food stamps to all qualified legal immigrants.
President Clinton's proposed budget includes the restoration of some food
stamp benefits over a five-year period.  Families with children, people who
are elderly or have disabilities, and refugees are likely to be a priority,
said Kay A. Bengston, LOGA's assistant director for public policy advocacy.
     "We realize that the funding available is only a down payment on the
need, but the issue has become critical to many individuals," wrote Siler.
"For some, it has become not only a matter of choosing among paying for
housing, food and prescriptions, but literally it has become a matter of
life and death."
     "More than half of the clients surveyed by our Lutheran Social
Ministry Organizations in California and Texas indicated that within a 30-day period either
themselves or a family member had gone without food for a
day or more because of the lack of resources.  This survey was conducted
prior to the September cutoff of food stamps to legal immigrants.  We
imagine the situation to be even worse today," Siler wrote.
     "We will continue to do our part; however, such increased hunger in a
land of plenty is not acceptable," he added.  "Regardless of their
citizenship, all human beings are equally entitled to what they need to
live in meaningful relation to God and neighbor."

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html