From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Congregations Prepare a Recipe for Church Growth

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 01 Apr 1998 16:05:21

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 1, 1998

ELCA CONGREGATIONS PREPARE A RECIPE FOR CHURCH GROWTH
98-12-075-MR

     WAUKESHA, WIS. (ELCA) -- Caring relationships, joyful worship, prayer
and outreach with a gospel mandate can be a successful recipe for church
growth.  More than 50 pastors, lay leaders and associates in ministry of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) met here March 26-28 for
the "Teaching Congregations" seminar sponsored by the ELCA's Division for
Congregational Ministries.
     Ascension Lutheran Church, noted for its outreach ministries, was
lifted up as an "effective congregation" for "proclaiming the gospel of
Jesus Christ," said the Rev. Richard A. Webb, associate director for
evangelism.
     "It is a known truth that in all times and places people will be
drawn to God.  The longing of humanity for God is universal," said the Rev.
Peter Rogness, bishop of the ELCA's Greater Milwaukee Synod.  "It is not a
Lutheran need, it is a universal need to be drawn closer to God.  What
fundamentally draws people to church is derived from that yearning toward
God."  Rogness was the preacher for the conference worship services.
     "We cannot speculate who will be interested in the church.  There is
a strong spiritual hunger in our society, but it is not always connected to
the church," said the Rev. Frank D. Janzow, a pastor at Ascension.  "I
think there's a continued skepticism about institutions in general, and
that the church is often viewed as an ancient bureaucratic institution
that's not all connected to people and where one's life is," he said.
     "Ascension is centered in the gospel of Jesus Christ and on the
belief that the word of Christ is a tremendous gift that will have an
impact on people if we can wrap them around that belief," said Janzow.
"One approach is to get people connected in meaningful ways.  A key way is
through small group ministry," he said.
     Ascension built a ministry of 32 small groups to equip youth and
adult members for inviting others into "a living relationship with Jesus
Christ," said Janzow.  Small groups range from Bible study groups to
nurture groups -- a network of spiritual care relationships.
      "Our small group ministry is not just another program in the church.
It is a way of being the church, an understanding of church as the
gathering of God's people working together like cells in the human body,"
Janzow said.  "The church's small group ministry exists to foster community
and care among the congregation as it grows larger in number; it is based
on an understanding of the church as a faith community and caring
relationships," he said.
     The Rev. Lisa L. Stafford, a participant from Zion Lutheran Church in
Trenton, Ohio, learned that pastors and lay leaders "must be more
intentional in listening to the needs of people within and outside the
church."  She said, "Developing small groups can be the foundation for
people to be spiritually fed.  Small group ministry is an opportunity for
the church to meet the needs of people better than what can be done during
Sunday morning worship."
     "Worship is a way of life.  It is the fabric of congregational life,"
said Dori Erwin Collins, Rejoice Lutheran Church, St. Charles, Ill.
"Worship is an active art; it is a performance art.  We should be
encouraged to use symbols, poetic and figurative speech and to think of
worship as life-giving and not a formula for meeting the needs of people,"
she said.  Collins was a keynote speaker.
     Ascension uses a variety of "visitor-friendly, joyful worship"
services to reach the unchurched and continue ministry with current
members.  "We try to present worship in a way that is warm and receiving of
people that may not know what is going to happen should they walk into a
church," said Janzow.  "Ascension's worship services include modern and
traditional music and liturgies, gospel and multicultural settings," he
said.
     The parish nurse outreach program at Ascension was highlighted at the
conference.  "The parish nurse is designated to bring health services that
focus on the holistic integration of the body, mind and spirit to its
members and the community," said Deborah Ziebarth, a registered nurse at
Ascension.
     "The gospel is good news and it brings a message of love an
acceptance, an offer of hope in the midst of brokenness.  The church is
called to be a healing community, a people striving to be faithful in a
specific time and setting, " she said.  Ziebarth is affiliated with
Waukesha Memorial Hospital in Waukesha, Wis.
     Three seminars will be held April 30-May 3 at Our Savior's Lutheran
Church in Salem, Ore., and St. Paul Lutheran Church in Decatur, Ga.
Another will be held May 14-17 at Trinity Lutheran Church in Enumclaw,
Wash.  The seminars include workshops with topics such as family-based
youth ministry, planning a friendly worship service and leadership.
     "I am a pastor that works less than full time.  I'm in a place where
I'm happy to be, but I know we need some new tools if we're going to grow,"
said the Rev. Gerald K. Webster, St. Phillips Lutheran Church, Ypsilanti,
Mich.  "The conference has given me a good sense of long-range mission
strategy through small group ministry and worship styles, and that change
does not happen overnight," he said.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html