From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Africa Trip Calls for Increased Church Commitment

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 03 Apr 1998 14:32:59

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: Wendy S. McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227
Internet:  news@ncccusa.org

34NCC4/3/98         FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BACK FROM TRIP, NCC HEAD CALLS FOR INCREASED CHURCH
COMMITMENT TO AFRICA

Following is an interview with the Rev. Dr. Joan Brown
Campbell, General Secretary of the National Council of
Churches (NCC), following her participation on the official
U.S. Presidential delegation to South Africa March 25-29.

Q:  Why were you chosen to accompany President Clinton
to South Africa? What was your role?

A:  I was in the 70-member official delegation, which
included members of Congress, corporate CEOs, President
Clinton, Mrs. Clinton, and the Presidential staff.  There
were two representatives of the church, African Methodist
Episcopal Bishop Fred Calhoun James and myself.

The President said that he chose every person personally
and that he wanted to include people who worked in the
anti-apartheid or Civil Rights movements.  Everyone on the
trip was credentialed not by virtue of their jobs but by
virtue of what they had done in the freedom struggle,
including the members of Congress who went.  One of the
wonderful things on the plane was listening to people's
stories about South Africa and about the Civil Rights
movement.

I think the President's strongest signal to that commitment
was naming Jesse Jackson as his special envoy to South
Africa.  It was interesting how many ministers played
special roles.  The Ambassador to South Africa, James
Joseph, is a United Church of Christ minister.  Andy
Young's name was often lifted up, who is another United
Church of Christ minister, for having played one of the
major roles with the UN in relation to South Africa.

Q: Why was it important that the NCC be represented on
the Presidential delegation?

A:  Because the NCC has a long history both in the Civil
Rights Movement and in the anti-apartheid movement, I think
our presence was very logical, and I'm grateful to the
President for recognizing that.  The President said that
there was a sense in which my presence as general secretary
helped him, because there are many people in South Africa
who know the NCC.  Among them is Thabo Mbeki, whom I
visited when he was in exile, writing the Constitution for
the new South Africa.

I think President Clinton knows, as well, that there will
be important follow-up that the churches must play if
Africa is to be treated as a partner and not as an object
of charity.

Q:  What was the tone in South Africa, especially in
light of what's been happening with the Truth and
Reconciliation Commission?  Are the people able to build
a different kind of society?

A:  Probably the best time to sense the tone was at the
State dinner.  There were 750 people, all personally
invited by South African President Nelson Mandela.  The
tone has been affected by the way in which Mandela emerged
from all those years in prison without hatred, without
bitterness, without rancor, but as someone who was prepared
to move toward building a new South Africa.  He continues
to say, "I am not here to punish.  I am here to work toward
a future that is the future for all South Africans."  He
says that over and over again.

To me, he is reminiscent of Martin Luther King, Jr.  You
never heard Dr. King say that white people should be
punished for their deeds.  He consistently said "We are all
God's children" and insisted upon the inclusion of Blacks
in that "all God's children."  Similarly, Mandela says, "I
will work toward a future for Black South Africans in which
there is economic stability, education and opportunity, but
I will also make this a safe place for all South Africans."
The tone he sets at the top is what makes it possible for
people to behave toward one another in forgiving and grace-
filled ways.  And they are.

Q:  Do the churches help with that?

A:  The churches absolutely help in that process.  The
churches are struggling a bit now.  The anti-apartheid
movement was so much a part of their mission and now the
churches need to find their role and mission in the new
South Africa.  The church has to develop its new identity
in a South Africa that is free.  Since the church played
such a strong role in the anti-apartheid movement, so much
of their leadership is now part of the government.  Frank
Chikane, who was head of the South African Council of
Churches, is now the chief of staff for Thabo Mbeki.
Beyers Naude has worked with the Truth and Reconciliation
Commission.  Desmond Tutu chairs the Truth and
Reconciliation Commission.

How, then, does the church give South Africa the kind of
undergirding it needs now when the challenges are
economic?.  How do you create a South Africa where there
are economic possibilities for people who for years were
basically servants to others?

One of the most powerful statements was made by Thabo
Mbeki.  I asked him publicly, "What is it you want us to
do?"  He said, "If the energy that was put into the
disinvestment movement could now be translated into the
reinvestment of all of Africa, then I believe that we would
find progress."  He was really saying that the kind of
moral energy that went into the bringing down of the system
needs to be focused on the rebuilding of Africa, and he was
very clear to talk about not just South Africa, but the
whole continent of Africa.

Q:  When Desmond Tutu spoke to the NCC's General
Assembly in November 1996, he pressed the whole issue of
forgiving foreign debt.  Did that issue come up?

A:  It did.  President Clinton made a statement that he
felt he had come to understand the debt issue better since
he'd been in Africa.  Desmond Tutu pressed the debt issue
directly with the President, who said that there will be
debt reduction for the poorest of the countries, perhaps
debt forgiveness.  He did not put forward a specific
proposal, but he did promise that he would deal with the
issue, and he spoke to the members of Congress and said,
"Obviously, I will need your support in this."  What the
specific proposal will be, we will not know until we see it
written out.

I have watched as President Clinton has moved through
Africa and noted the tremendous emotional power that Africa
has had for him.  He began to put away his written speeches
others had helped prepare and began to speak from his heart
and from the knowledge that he was gaining in Africa.
There's no question but that Africa informed him and helped
him develop his own thinking.  I have no question that he
will return from Africa with a different agenda than the
agenda he took with him.  I think it will be a broader
agenda, I think it will be deepened on some issues, like
debt reduction.  There's no question he will continue to
focus on the trade issue, because he personally believes
that Africa must become a trading partner of the United
States.  The presence of 12 CEOs of major corporations was
an indication of that belief.

Q:  What role do the churches have to play in Africa's
future?

A:  While I think it is up to many people to see that
Africa become strong economically and that the business
community needs to plays its role, I also believe that the
churches have a historic role to play.  President Clinton
himself said, "We have not treated Africa fairly."  He said
that during the Cold War, we chose people because they were
our friends, not because they were giving good leadership
in Africa.  I was pleased to hear him say this.  His
confessional statement is tied to my belief that the future
of Africa is a theological as well as an economic issue for
us, because Africa has clearly been a continent that has
been affected by the racial prejudice that exists in this
country.  There is not question in my mind that it is not
an accident that Africa is misunderstood, that it gets less
aid than other continents, and that it has been treated
without the kind of fairness that is due to a continent of
its size, history and culture.  This is in large part
related to the racial bigotry that exists in this country
and we have to deal with that issue on a continuing basis.
We cannot say that racial prejudice in this country can be
contained within our own borders.  We export it, and there
is a whole continent of people who then suffer.  It is
important that President Clinton has talked about both a
race initiative in this country as well as talking about
making trade and relationships with Africa a priority.  The
churches also are uniquely positioned to be a moral leader
and call for an end to the racism that causes suffering
both here and in Africa.

As churches, we need to assert that when we dream of a
global human community where peace and justice are
possible, Africa is essential to the realization of that
dream.

Q:  There is a curious quirk about human nature that we
will rally to the negative, we will fight apartheid.
But how do we rally churches to a positive approach?
How do we get people to be invested in Africa?

A:  Although the churches have played a major role in aid
to Africa, they need to move beyond the issue of aid to the
issue of partnership.  Take the example of Christian
missionaries.  The missionaries left in their wake some
cultural problems.  But they also left in their wake a very
strong and positive legacy in the hospitals and schools
they built, where many individuals who are now in
leadership were trained.  The very people that we have
trained and to whom we have introduced Christianity, now we
must listen to them, because they have a message for us
about Africa.  They are saying to us, "You helped to train
us," or in evangelical language, "You helped to bring us to
Christ.  Now listen to us, because we need you to be our
partners as we move Africa to a place of real prominence in
the world."  I think we need to respond to that.

Can we get people to do that as easily as we got them to
object to the system of apartheid?  I don't know.  I think
part of the answer is keeping Africa before our churches.
If you look at the NCC, we have one office with only a few
people to deal with the entire continent of Africa.  It
would be my dream that our churches would say "We need at
least ten people to deal with the continent of Africa," if
we are seriously committed to changing the way in which
this country looks at Africa.  I believe this Council needs
to send a very high level delegation to Africa and we need
to help create an Africa policy for our churches that is as
important for our ecumenical life as the Middle East policy
has been.

-end-
 -0-