From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterians Trained to Confront Domestic Violence

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 04 Apr 1998 16:52:39

26-March-1998
98110

    Presbyterians Trained to Confront Domestic Violence

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-More than 100 Presbyterians gathered recently in Daytona
Beach, Fla., and Santa Fe, N.M., to gain skills needed to confront domestic
violence in their churches and communities.

    Sponsored by the Presbyterian Church's Societal Violence Initiative
Team and funded primarily by the Birthday Offering of Presbyterian Women,
the twin training events - Feb. 5-8 in Florida and March 12-15 at Plaza
Resolana in Santa Fe - drew participation from every synod in the
denomination.

    "This thought-provoking training should be a requirement for all
pastors, elders and other caretakers in the church," said Barbara J. Baker,
moderator of the Church and Society Committee of Chicago Presbytery.

    The events were led by the Rev. Marie Fortune and the Rev. Thelma
Burgonio-Watson from the Center for the Prevention of Sexual and Domestic
Violence in Seattle; the Rev. James Poling, a professor at
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Ill.; and members of
the initiative team.

    Each participant agreed to provide training to others in their areas as
a follow-up to the events.  Names of those participants are available now
from the Women's Ministries Program Area in Louisville at (502) 569-5401
and will be available in presbytery offices by May 1.

    Event organizers said they hope anti-domestic violence training
permeates churches, presbyteries and synods.  "Clergy and laypersons need
to be better equipped to deal with the domestic violence that touches
Presbyterians who sit in our pews every Sunday," noted Jinny Miller of
Mishawaka, Ind., a member of the General Assembly Council and the
initiative team.

    "The challenge in confronting violence against women calls for a
changing paradigm of a proactive pastoral model," said Judi Holmes Jensen,
program associate in Winnebago Presbytery.  "For some this means opening
their heart to a new theology that will empower women to seek and find a
place of safety and wholeness.  For others this means finding the courage
to hold an abuser accountable."

    For every Christian, Jensen continued, "It means drawing on the
strength of the Christian community to name domestic violence and to stand
with the vulnerable."

    Several Presbyterians at the events who are secularly employed -
teachers, lawyers, therapists, nurses and social workers - said gaining a
faith perspective on domestic violence issues was particularly helpful.
Paula Pile, a licensed marriage and family therapist from Greensboro, N.C.,
said, "As a psychotherapist and as a Christian, I never knew how to answer
the questions that I heard about the Bible and domestic violence.  Now I
have the resources to begin."

    Clergy expressed similar appreciation.  "The training provided
invaluable insights and tools to address an issue that is crippling our
families and society," said the Rev. Edward Hamilton of Bayville, N.J.

    "The [initiative and leadership] team offered a highly effective,
well-structured and sensitive training program," said N'Yisrela
Watts-Afriyie, a physician from southern California.  "I feel equipped with
knowledge, but especially with a network of support, to inform others.
Imagine! Soon others will join in proclaiming, `I was blind but now I
see'!"

    Each participant received a copy of Fortune's book, "Keeping the Faith
- Guidance for Christian Women Facing Abuse."  Designed as a resource for
pastors to share with victims of domestic violence, the book, said Miller,
"is geared primarily for abused women, but also provides insights for
clergy as they seek to understand the pain and hopelessness of many abused
women."

    The Societal Violence Initiative Team, created by the General Assembly
Council in 1995, has prepared a packet of resources designed to help
churches and governing bodies address societal violence.  To order the
packet, call Presbyterian Distribution Service at 1-800-524-2612 and ask
for PDS item #72-700-96-002.

    An Extra Commitment Opportunity account - #049975, "Confronting
Violence Against Women" - has been established for those who wish to
contribute money to the PC(USA)'s anti-domestic violence efforts.
Contributions may be sent to Central Receiving Service, 100 Witherspoon
Street, Louisville, KY 40202-1396, with the account number written on the
check.

    For more information about the denomination's societal and domestic
violence prevention programs, call Annie Wu King at (502) 569-5401 or David
Zuverink at (502) 569-5793.

(Information for this story furnished by Jinny Miller)

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>