From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PPC and OGA Officials Discuss Production Services Agreement

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 04 Apr 1998 17:25:45

4-March-1998
98075

    PPC and OGA Officials Discuss
    Production Services Agreement

    by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-Consistent with the church goal of consolidating similar
functions to maximize efficiency, officials in the Presbyterian Publishing
Corporation (PPC) and the Office of the General Assembly (OGA) are
discussing the possibility of a production services agreement.

    The Rev. Kerry Clements, OGA manager of Communication and Technology,
said that conversations have been held with PPC officials during the past
nine months about the need to make the most of the church's publishing
resources. On Feb. 20, Clements and the Rev. Janet DeVries, director of
OGA's Department of Administration and Assembly Services, met with  OGA's
Communication and Technology staff to discuss future directions for OGA
publications.

    Clements said that since the stated clerk is responsible for the
publication of the church's constitution and other documents, it's
imperative the OGA retain all editorial rights to the publications of that
office.

    "Even with OGA retaining editorial control, however, there are specific
services that PPC can provide that include publication design, text
formatting, securing bids and presenting projects to the printer," Clements
told the Presbyterian News Service. "There are even possibilities in the
fields of sales and marketing that PPC can offer to expand what we do
currently."

    "We want to provide production services for this other key part of the
denomination," said Davis Perkins, PPC president and publisher. "We think
this relationship can really flourish by allowing us to leverage our
production volume together to get better prices and be more cost-effective
in producing these materials. Down the road, we want to be able to put our
marketing muscle behind the distribution and promotion of these materials
to expand the market for some of their publications. We'll work through
Cokesbury and integrate OGA material into our own catalogs and promotional
efforts."

    While no formal accord has been reached regarding the proposed
alliance, the PPC has agreed to produce this year's "Book of Order," which
should be available at the General Assembly in Charlotte, N.C. Perkins said
the total print run for the "Book of Order" is 85,000 copies, as has been
the practice for several years by OGA. Approximately 3,000 copies of the
book should be available at Charlotte. Clements said that once this project
is completed, the OGA will evaluate it and proceed to discuss a more formal
arrangement.

    The continuation of a partnership between the two entities seems
logical. Last year, the PPC produced the software editions of the "Book of
Order" and "The Book of Confessions" (Macintosh and Windows versions). PPC
also produced a print edition of "The Companion to the Constitution" by the
Rev. Frank Beattie. Next fall, the PPC is scheduled to release a study
edition of  "The Book of Confessions" in print.

    So what does this mean for the current OGA staff in Communication and
Technology? Clements said during their recent meeting that OGA officials
announced their intention to protect the employment of current staff by
negotiating their retention as a part of its agreement with PPC. OGA would
transfer the three editorial positions and two typesetting positions
involved to the PPC.

    "We're still very early in the process. There's nothing in writing,"
Clements said.

    "We've not gotten down to the nitty-gritty of how OGA staff might be
integrated into PPC, but we have made an in-principle commitment to honor
that wish," Perkins said. "We don't want anybody to be lost in the
transition either."

    Clements and Perkins said they hope to have details of the proposed
alliance worked out by late this year or early 1999.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>