From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ministries, Churches Pledge Aid to Promise Keepers

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 04 Apr 1998 17:26:46

24-March-1998
98089

    Ministries, Churches Pledge Aid to Promise Keepers

    by Adelle M. Banks
    Religion News Service

WASHINGTON-Prominent evangelical ministries such as Campus Crusade for
Christ as well as more than 1,000 churches nationwide are pledging to help
support Promise Keepers as the men's organization faces a financial crisis.

    Bill Bright, founder and president of Campus Crusade, said he has sent
a letter to the 350,000 people on his ministry's mailing list seeking
support for Promise Keepers. In addition, he has sent a similar letter to
about 50,000 pastors.

    "I feel that Promise Keepers has made a marvelous contribution to the
body of Christ and it's just an expression of gratitude for what they've
done and an expression of love," said Bright in a telephone interview March
10 from his Orlando, Fla., headquarters.

    On Feb. 18 Promise Keepers announced it would be laying off its entire
paid staff of 345 effective March 31 because it did not have the funds to
pay them.  The financial crunch came after the ministry decided to no
longer charge fees for its conferences and instead rely solely on
donations.

    A Promise Keepers spokesman said that in addition to Bright's efforts,
two ministries have aired radio programs highlighting the financial
difficulties of the men's group.

    "He has been a good friend to this ministry ... and we are blessed by
his action," Steve Ruppe, Promise Keepers director of public affairs, said
of Bright.

    Ruppe said "Focus on the Family" and "FamilyLife" highlighted Promise
Keepers' financial situation on their radio programs in early March.
"FamilyLife" is a Little Rock, Ark.-based ministry of Campus Crusade that
focuses on marriage and family issues. "Focus on the Family" is based in
Colorado Springs, Colo., and has a similar emphasis.

    "There have been a number of outreaches by a number of Christian
ministries," Ruppe said.

    Paul Hetrick, a "Focus on the Family" vice president, said his
ministry's March 5 broadcast provided a chance for Promise Keepers
officials to explain their situation to radio listeners.

    "It gave them an opportunity to explain what the true situation was,"
said Hetrick. "I think there was some concern that there was some
misunderstanding about what they planned for the future."

    For instance, Hetrick said, Promise Keepers plans to hold 19
conferences at stadiums and arenas across the country this year despite the
current shortfall.

    In addition to the efforts of several ministries, churches have been
pledging to support Promise Keepers since McCartney began alerting its
clergy conferences of the group's needs and asking for help.

    "We had about 1,500 churches pledge about $1,000 apiece on average" as
of a week ago, Ruppe said.

    McCartney has sought such pledges during clergy conferences since
January. The last clergy conference was March 12 in Indianapolis.

    "It's such a great blessing when people think there has been enough
value in how God has used us to support us financially," said Ruppe.  "It
blesses the ministry."

    Ruppe said the efforts have yet to change Promise Keepers' plan for
layoffs.  "At this point, there have been no announced changes in our
plan," he said.  "It's still early."

    Bright added that he viewed his ministry's effort as a biblical one.
"There's a law of God -  as you give, you receive, and as you help our
brothers, you please our Lord," he said.

    In his letter addressed "Dear concerned Christian," Bright wrote: "As
you may have read, Promise Keepers is going through a time of great
financial crisis, which I believe is God's way of drawing members of the
body of Christ together to lend a hand. ... We are praying that God will
not let this wonderful movement die because of a lack of funds."

    The effort is unusual because Campus Crusade staffers are not paid by
the ministry but are supported by individual donors. In addition, Campus
Crusade does not generally seek financial assistance for their staffers or
other ministries.  The ministry does not generally seek financial
assistance for others either.

    "We don't normally write letters to our mailing list because our
mailing list is very sacred to us," said Bright.

    He added that he would personally help any Campus Crusade staffers
raise needed funds if they are adversely affected by the fund-raising
letter for Promise Keepers.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>