From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Black Presbyterians Urged to Reclaim Their Heritage

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 04 Apr 1998 17:30:21

25-March-1998
98098

    Black Presbyterians Urged to Reclaim
    Their Heritage at NBPC Event

    by Julian Shipp

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.-During a uniquely Presbyterian but distinctively black
gathering here March 17-22, members of the National Black Presbyterian
Caucus (NBPC) were urged to reclaim their heritage and work cooperatively
to overcome the individual, social and religious challenges facing the
African-American community.

    Approximately 500 of the NBPC's 675 members attended the organization's
31st annual conference under the theme "Do You Want to Be Healed?" The
six-day event featured worship, keynote speakers and workshops on topics
such as evangelism, missionary work, AIDS, church growth, new church
development and economic empowerment.

    Commenting on the African-American diaspora, which is built on a
history of struggle and a foundation of hope, the Rev. Gayraud S. Wilmore
urged black Presbyterians to make a comprehensive self-examination.

    "Many of our congregations are in a sorry state, in deep trouble,"
Wilmore said during the opening plenary. "We do not know how long black
Presbyterianism will last, do we? We cannot be sure that our children and
grandchildren will remain Presbyterian. We only know that our heritage is
perishable."

    But there's high cause for optimism, Wilmore said, as he and other
black leaders shared numerous ideas for renewal - some popular, others
decidedly controversial.

    Only about 2 percent of the PC(USA)'s approximately 2.6 million members
are black. Membership, both black and white, has been gradually declining,
despite the efforts of the denomination to reach out to blacks and other
racial/ethnic persons.

    Even so, Wilmore, author of the recently revised book "Black and
Presbyterian: The Heritage and the Hope," said blacks must maintain their
place in a denomination that he said has been aristocratic and
conservative.

    "Most of our white brothers and sisters, despite all good intentions,
are convinced, many of them, that we blacks never had it so good - that we
need to stop thinking of them as racist," he said. Black Presbyterians need
to stop adhering to white ideas of what church integration should be, he
said. Simultaneously, he said, they should stop fretting over blacks
leaving their denomination for Baptist and Pentecostal churches. Instead,
he said, they should be cautious in their recruiting of new members.

    "What our pastors ought to be wary of is flooding our churches with
`Sunday-morning saints' who don't want to think," Wilmore said. "We've got
to be careful about taking folks and not teaching them how to be
disciples."

    The Rev. Rosalie Potter, associate director for evangelism and church
development in the National Ministries Division, said 147 of the
denomination's 390 black churches do not have ministers. At the same time,
she said, many black Presbyterian women have been ordained but can't find a
pastoral call.

    "There are many African-American women looking for calls, and they're
not accepted in the church," Potter said. "That's an issue of justice - one
you need to challenge the Caucasian church on. This is mighty, mighty work,
and we need all of you to be a part of it."

    Pat Brown, moderator of the 209th General Assembly (1997), said that
while most black Presbyterians are proud of their African heritage, it does
nothing for the church's witnessing power if they still have to apologize
to the secular society for being Presbyterian. To counter this, she
encouraged the NBPC to fill up existing churches and work hard to educate
the church's young people on Presbyterianism.

    "As long as we continue to go around and ... apologize for being
Presbyterian, we're not going to attract people," Brown said. "Nobody's
going to want to come and worship with us. I want you to think about why
you have come to witness for Jesus Christ as Presbyterians. I want you to
think about the gifts - and we certainly have them - that we bring to the
Presbyterian Church."

    Commenting on the defeat of Amendment A, Brown said she does not
believe the amendment is a priority issue for blacks and other
racial/ethnic members, who are more concerned with their own affirmation
and survival in the denomination. However, since black Presbyterians are
associated with the denomination's liberal element by the majority of
whites, Brown said, they must prepare to assume greater leadership in the
church if a significant liberal withdrawal occurs.

      Noted poet, educator and lecturer Nikki Giovanni, keynote speaker
during the NBPC's Lucy Craft Laney Luncheon, blasted right-wing religious
leaders for using the Old Testament to condemn homosexuality and
interracial marriage while extolling racism and oppression. She said
Christian conservatives must also read the New Testament, particularly the
life and teachings of Jesus, and realize that all humanity is sinful, yet
needful of God's grace.

    "What kind of craziness makes us think that we can judge what someone
does?" Giovanni said. "We've got to find a way to get over that which makes
us uncomfortable. We did not come this far to become that which we have
fought against."

    Giovanni also criticized opponents of affirmation action, including
conservative African Americans such as Supreme Court Justice Clarence
Thomas, saying that they "sucked up the juices of affirmative action and
made themselves strong and healthy."

    While the black community continues to be ravaged by inadequate housing
and education, substance abuse, violence, institutional and systemic
racism, NBPC hopes to strengthen the denomination's ability to unite in
common cause and purpose-driven ministry, said the Rev. Curtis A. Jones,
NBPC president.

    "The opportunity to initiate effective partnerships within our
communities and the denomination has never been greater," Jones said. "With
a vision, we can build bridges of hope from the bloody sidewalk of despair
to the mountaintop of joy, across the chasm of poverty to the fertile
ground of promise."

    The Rev. Howard A. Bryant Sr., NBPC executive director, said this
year's event drew more participants than any other NBPC annual meeting held
over the last 20 years.

    In addition to Wilmore, other NBPC guest speakers and preachers
included Winston-Salem mayor Jack Cavanagh; the Rev. Diane Givens-Moffett,
associate pastor of Elmwood United Presbyterian Church in East Orange,
N.J.; the Rev. Robert N. Burkins Sr., pastor of Elmwood United Presbyterian
Church in East Orange, N.J.; the Rev. Vashti McKenzie, pastor of Payne
Memorial A.M.E. Church in Baltimore, Md.; the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr.,
pastor of Trinity United Methodist Church of Christ in Chicago, Ill.; U.S.
Rep. Melvin Watt, D-N.C.; and U.S. Rep. Eva Clayton, D-N.C.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>