From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church Growth Strategy Team

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 04 Apr 1998 17:33:21

1-April-1998
98116

    Church Growth Strategy Team
    Receives Louisville Presbytery Input

    by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-Meeting here March 25-28, members of the General Assembly
Council's Church Growth Strategy Team visited a number of promising local
congregations and gathered ideas from six pastors in Louisville Presbytery
as it worked to create a comprehensive Presbyterian Church growth strategy
for at least the next decade.

    The Church Growth Strategy Team was appointed last September at the
GAC's meeting in San Antonio.  It was charged to devise a strategy to
reverse the gradual membership decline in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
The denomination, currently at 2.6 million members, has lost an average of
more than 30,000 members per year for at least the past 25 years.

    The team is scheduled to meet in various places around the country in
the coming year to glean as much information and as many ideas as it can
prior to reporting its findings to the GAC in 1999.

    Louisville area pastors who met with the team included the Rev. Willa
Fae Williams of Portland Avenue Presbyterian Church, the Rev. Megan Ritchie
of Buechel Presbyterian Church, the Rev.Whit Malone of Springdale
Presbyterian Church, and the Rev. Mike Stuart of James Lees Memorial
Presbyterian Church.  The team also heard from the Rev. Al Earley of
LaGrange New Church Development in LaGrange, Ky., and the Rev. Elizabeth
Kirkpatrick-Brucken of First Presbyterian Church in Eminence, Ky.

    The pastors discussed church growth issues and successful programs with
team members, who also visited several church growth projects in the
Louisville area, including

      Portland Avenue Presbyterian Church, which presently has 22 active
members with 11-13 in attendance. The church is located in the Portland
neighborhood, which has the highest poverty and the greatest illiteracy
rate in the Louisville metropolitan area. Today, church membership is
growing again, with 11 new members having joined since September of 1997.
A neighboring United Methodist congregation has joined the Portland Avenue
Church for worship, making Sunday attendance now approximately 60.

      James Lees Memorial Presbyterian Church, which recently received a
$102,000 grant to build community relationships through evangelistic
outreach, provide a safe-house for at-risk young people and render a
variety of inspiring worship and traditional educational experiences from
within the Reformed tradition.

       LaGrange Presbyterian New Church Development in LaGrange, Ky., which
was launched by a group of people in that suburban community. Last fall, a
founding pastor - the Rev. Al Early, formerly of Gallipolis, Ohio - was
called to lead the congregation to formal chartering.  Worship services are
completely filling the space in the interim facilities. A new site has been
purchased and a new building is scheduled to be built soon.

    "Our challenge and our struggle is how to grow," said the Rev. Megan
Ritchie. "We're a laboratory and sometimes I feel like we're being held by
a spiderweb. Church growth is really scary."

    The pastors told team members they face a multitude of challenges
daily, including helping families living in crisis and striving to find
ways to keep the gospel relevant to today's secular society.

    Other obstacles to growth cited by the clergy included various
provisions in  the "Book of Order," which they said often frustrates growth
and development of their congregations; the cost of curriculum materials;
fear of risking personal safety while conducting ministry; getting people
to pray not only on Sundays but daily; becoming a people of hope and
believing it; and reaching out to racial/ethnic people, who often perceive
the PC(USA) as exclusive and elitist, since it is approximately 93 percent
Caucasian and contains many wealthy members.

    "I truly believe that we have gotten so comfortable being Presbyterian
and Christian in this country that we're afraid to take risks," said team
member Sandra Hawley of Bloomington, Minn.

    Even so, team members acknowledge they may have to propose bold
ventures in order to accomplish their goals.  The team's efforts are fueled
by recent General Assemblies, which have adopted ambitious goals for church
growth, particularly among racial/ethnic groups. The 1996 Assembly, for
instance, adopted a goal of racial/ethnic membership growth to 10 percent
of the denomination's membership by 2005 and to 20 percent by 2010.
Significant Assembly initiatives have also been adopted for growth of
Hispanic and urban churches.

    Members of the Church Growth Strategy Team are team chair Jinny Miller
of Mishawaka, Ind.; the Rev. David Bleivik of Anchorage, Ala.; Eugenia
"Gene" Shannon of Bradenton, Fla.; Diane Wheeler of Palmyra, N.Y.; the Rev.
John Buchanan of Chicago; Aurelio Garcia of San Juan, Puerto Rico; the Rev.
Joseph Etua of Starkville, Miss.; and Elizabeth Stephan of Auke Bay,
Alaska.

    Staff working with the team include Rosalie Potter, associate director
for evangelism and church development; the Rev. Douglas Wilson, associate
for Presbyterian evangelism; Diana Stephen, associate for rural ministry
and church development strategy; the Rev. John Haberlin, associate for
church growth and new church development; the Rev. Stephen Boots, associate
for redevelopment evangelism and church development; the Rev. Curtis
Kearns, director, National Ministries Division; the Rev. Rita Dixon,
associate for black congregational enhancement; the Rev. Sun Bai Kim,
associate for Korean congregational enhancement; and the Rev. Trey Hammond,
coordinator for urban ministry.

    The team is scheduled to meet again April 29-May 1 in Los Angeles.
Miller said the team plans to present its final report to the GAC in
February 1999 for submission to the 211th General Assembly (1999) in Fort
Worth, Texas.

    "In 20 years, the church will see the fruition of our work, I am sure,"
said the Rev. Elizabeth Kirkpatrick-Brucken of Eminence, Ky.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>