From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Supporters and Opponents Agree Amendment A Is Lost

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 04 Apr 1998 18:03:46

18-March-1998
98095

    Results Not Official Yet, But Supporters
    and Opponents Agree Amendment A Is Lost

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--Though official results are not in yet, supporters and
opponents of Amendment A agree that a majority of the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.)'s 173 presbyteries have rejected the measure by a more than 2-1
vote.

    Unofficial tallies - published on the Internet by the Presbyterian Lay
Committee and the Presbyterian Coalition, staunch backers of existing
constitutional language prohibiting the ordination of gays and lesbians or
sexually active but unmarried heterosexuals - reported that a majority of
votes favoring retaining those restrictions was reached March 7, with 91
presbyteries voting against the proposed Amendment A and 46 in favor.

    As of March 18, the informal tally was 50 affirmative and 105 negative.

    Eighty-seven presbyteries constitute the majority necessary to either
reject or approve a constitutional change.  The official count - prepared
by the Office of the General Assembly after tallying ballot cards submitted
by presbytery stated clerks - was 84 negative and 41 affirmative on March
18.

    The language of Amendment A, approved by commissioners to the 209th
General Assembly last June, was virtually contradictory of the more
explicit language approved just one year before by the 210th General
Assembly and then by a 97-74-1 vote of the denomination's presbyteries.  It
was titled Amendment B and is now G-6.0106b of the "Book of Order."

    Describing sexual standards for church officers with the words
"fidelity and chastity," defining marriage as a covenant "between a man and
a woman," and requiring repentance of "self-acknowledged" practices that
church confessions call sin, "B" was quickly adopted as the premier
theological and ideological litmus test by both liberal and conservative
Presbyterians during heated presbytery debates in late 1996 and early 1997.

    "I  really do believe the majority has spoken in fairly clear terms.
And consistent with the historic principles [of the church], we need to
honor the vote of the majority," said the Rev. Jack Haberer, moderator of
the Presbyterian Coalition, an advocacy group formed when the 205th General
Assembly authorized a three-year study of issues tied to sexuality and
ordination to church offices.   "And the second thing we all need to
remember ... is the intent [here].  Grace precedes and follows repentance.

    "Amendment B was never intended to be the graceless declaration its
opponents made it out to be," said Haberer, insisting that the "spirit of
the amendment" is true to the Reformed tradition, where dissenters submit
to the determination of the majority - while still working for change --
and the majority avoids triumphalism so that it may redirect its energy
into other aspects of ministry.

    The Coalition has sent a mailing to pastors citing the 1758 Plan for
Reunion (footnoted in the "Book of Order"), which lays out that logic,
saying: "When any matter is determined by a major vote, every member shall
either actively concur with or passively submit to such determination; or
if his conscience permit him to do neither, he shall, after sufficient
liberty modestly to reason and remonstrate, peaceably withdraw from our
communion without attempting to make any schism."

    But exactly what kind of spirit will prevail in the denomination's more
polarized presbyteries worries more moderate backers of Amendment A,
including former General Assembly moderator the Rev. John Buchanan of
Chicago.  Buchanan is one of the co-conveners of the Covenant Network of
Presbyterians, a group formed to work for passage of A and arrest what it
calls a "rightward drift" in the denomination.

    "The church," Buchanan said, "needs to show a divided world how to stay
in dialogue and service with each other, even when we disagree ... because
the disagreement is so vehement and so profound and includes very nearly
half of our family."  (The Covenant Network claims that 46 percent of all
votes cast on Amendment A in presbyteries to date were "yes" votes.) He
told the Presbyterian News Service that he hopes the denomination avoids
not only witch hunts, but prosecutions in the coming months, and that it
will simply "live with what we've done.  See what it feels like across the
church."

     It some circles "what it feels like" is already clear.

    The More Light Churches Network (MLCN) - a coalition of 95 Presbyterian
churches that openly ordain gays and lesbians - and Presbyterians for
Lesbian and Gay Concerns (PLGC) are planning a merger to create what a
March 17 press release calls a "stronger and more unified organization" and
are hiring a staff person for the first time to do organizing and
education.  Presbyterian Welcome, a coalition of 10 New York City
congregations, is, as its spokesperson, the Rev. Cliff Frazier of Jan Hus
Presbyterian Church, says, "preparing ourselves for the deepening crisis,"
since its members do not intend to implement the reaffirmed constitutional
provision in "any fashion."

    "I hope we'll be allowed to be able to continue to live faithfully in
response to the gospel as we understand it," MLCN's co-moderator, the Rev.
Richard Lundy of Excelsior, Minn., told the Presbyterian News Service.

    But the network has already established a legal fund and has secured
volunteer lawyers anticipating possible disciplinary cases.  "What they're
[the Coalition] saying is, `We've listened to the minority long enough,'"
said Lundy.  "`It's time to listen to the majority. If you don't agree and
you can't submit, leave.'"

    And while some backers of current constitutional language undoubtably
agree with that logic, others are less strident.  Some dissenters, they
acknowledge, will simply leave the denomination.  Options for those who
stay are varied, including giving up their ordinations "for the sake" of
church unity.  But  "outing" closet homosexuals, disclosing the contents of
confidential pastoral conversations or "purging" those not in compliance
with G-6.0106b is not the intent of those who drafted the original
amendment, according to spokespersons within the Renewal Network, a
coalition of conservative and evangelical groups who worked jointly for the
passage of Amendment B and the defeat of A.

    Some disciplinary action is to be expected, said Presbyterians for
Renewal executive director the Rev. Joe Rightmyer of Louisville,
particularly when noncompliance is openly flaunted.  Ongoing judicial cases
will also be carefully watched, he added.  But none of that, in Rightmyer's
view, was the purpose of Amendment B.

    The point of G-6.0106b, he argued, is for Presbyterians to reexamine
their lives and their church in light of what scripture defines as "the new
creation" in Christ.  "I think what the church is trying to say right now -
and has said - is that we have not lost sight of the fact that scripture is
our final authority for faith and practice.  We're clinging to that.

    "We need to recover what is offered in scripture, not just what is
opposed," he said, adding that "`the Book of Order' certainly is not going
to change us.  The hope is to get beyond the `Book of Order' to Spirit and
life."

    The Coalition's view, Haberer said, is that there is "no constitutional
basis for defrocking" already ordained deacons, elders and ministers.
G-6.0106b calls for examination of new candidates for ministry and of
elders, deacons and clergy who are to be installed or reinstalled.

    "The only [disciplinary] cases that I expect to see are of those who
flagrantly defy the constitution," said Haberer, who believes there are
ways to submit to the church's standards yet still work for change.
"There's a compelling call to say stop being so militant, so defiant.
Respect the majority call on that issue," he said, adding that defiance may
simply provoke chain reactions of judicial cases.

    The Covenant Network has not adopted a platform urging its members to
"not abide" by the existing constitutional provision.  Buchanan said he's
hearing that the response of members to A's demise varies.  "It has been a
Presbyterian principle ... to trust local people to make responsible
decisions, to do what God calls them to do," he told the Presbyterian News
Service.

    "There are some who will abide.  There are some who cannot in good
conscience abide.  But that is a qualitatively different principle than
aggressive dissent."

    Like Buchanan, Rightmyer hopes that the denomination will live with the
contested constitutional language and let time test it.  "A lot of what's
coming," he said, "depends on what the next Assembly does."

    Milwaukee Presbytery, for example, has submitted an overture calling
for G-6.0106b to be deleted from the "Book of Order."

    Though formed around a single issue, both the Coalition and the
Covenant Network intend to continue functioning as broader based
organizations, according to their spokespersons.

     The Coalition has formed a visioning team that will report on
strategies for denominational renewal at an Oct. 8-10 conference in Dallas.
The Covenant Network intends to announce dates for a theological conference
at the General Assembly.

                   The official vote as of March 18

Affirmative (41): Albany, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Des Moines, East
Iowa, Eastern Oklahoma, Eastern Oregon, Genesee Valley, Geneva, Heartland,
Hudson River, Long Island, Louisville, Maumee Valley, Miami, Milwaukee,
Minnesota Valleys, New Brunswick, New Castle, New York City, Newark, North
Central Iowa, Northern Kansas, Northern New England, Northern New York,
Northern Plains, Palisades, Redwoods, San Jose, Santa Fe, Southeastern
Illinois, Southern New England, Susquehanna Valley, Twin Cities Area, Utah,
Utica, Western Kentucky, Western New York, Western Reserve and Winnebago.

Negative (84): Abingdon, Arkansas, Carlisle, Central Florida, Central
Washington, Charleston-Atlantic, Charlotte, Cherokee, Cimarron, Cincinnati,
Coastal Carolina, Dakota, de Cristo, Donegal, East Tennessee, Eastern
Korean, Eastern Virginia, Flint River, Florida, Foothills, Great Rivers,
Greater Atlanta, Hanmi, Holston, Homestead, Huntingdon, James, John Calvin,
Kendall, Lake Erie, Lake Huron, Lehigh, Memphis, Middle Tennessee, Midwest
Hanmi, Mission, Mississippi, Monmouth, Nevada, New Covenant, New Harmony,
New Hope, North Alabama, North Puget Sound, Northeast Georgia, Northern
Waters, Northwest, Pacific, Palo Duro, Peace River, Peaks, Philadelphia,
Pines, Pittsburgh, Plains and Peaks, Prospect Hill, Providence, Pueblo,
Redstone, St. Andrew, St. Augustine, Salem, San Diego, San Fernando, San
Joaquin, San Juan, Santa Barbara, Shenango, Sheppards and Lapsley,
Shenandoah, South Alabama, South Louisiana, Southern Kansas, Southwest,
Stockton, Tampa Bay, Transylvania, Tres Rios, Trinity, Wabash Valley, West
Virginia, Western North Carolina, Whitewater Valley and Yukon.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>