From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Bishop Visits Tornado-Damaged Areas of Minnesota

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 09 Apr 1998 14:29:43

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 9, 1998

ELCA BISHOP VISITS TORNADO-DAMAGED AREAS OF MINNESOTA
98-13-085-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- "The tornado was not the act of God," said the Rev.
H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America, on a pastoral visit to St. Peter, Minn., after tornadoes tore a
68-mile long path of devastation across a five-county area in southern
Minnesota last week.
     Anderson met with pastors, ELCA synod staff members, tornado
survivors and others involved in disaster response April 7 at First
Lutheran Church, St. Peter. Anderson asked tornado survivors to describe
their damage and special needs at the meeting.
     "My first concern is about you pastors affected in this area," said
Anderson.  "We need to let you know that what you are doing is important
for the whole church, and we will support you."
     Anderson heard stories of near-death experiences, sudden destruction
with little warning, shingle and tree damage, chimneys falling through
roofs, houses that have been destroyed or condemned and stories of loss,
grief and weariness.
     "You are in good hands with Lutheran Disaster Response," Anderson
told the gathering.  "Lutheran Disaster Response will be around not just
when this disaster is in the headlines.  Listen to and work with these
folks.  They know the whole story, not just the headlines stuff."  Lutheran
Disaster Response is a ministry of the ELCA and The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
     Anderson also met with Dr. Axel D. Steuer, president of Gustavus
Adolphus College in St. Peter, an ELCA college damaged by a tornado.
     Steuer and other college officials hope to reopen the college April
20.
     "Gustavus Adolphus College is not only alive but moving forward with
energy," Anderson said.   "The act of God is that the students were not
here but were on spring break.  We're doing well."
     The 137-foot spire of Gustavus Adolphus' Christ Chapel was snapped in
half.  Windows were blown out, but the chapel's "eternal flame," suspended
in a bowl from the ceiling of the chapel, was still burning.  The seating
capacity of the chapel is 1,300.
     "In some ways, I think that the flame is more symbolically important
than the spire," said Steuer.  "For us, it's what goes on in that building
that means the most to this community," Steuer told the Star Tribune
(Minneapolis).
     "That image of the eternal flame, the symbol of God's presence, has
kept the light of hope burning within all members of the Gustavus family,"
said the Rev. Dennis J. Johnson, vice president for college relations.
Johnson expects the chapel to reopen this fall.
     Preliminary estimates of "insurable damage," including missing roofs,
shattered windows and computer losses, from $40 million to $60 million will
be covered by a $175 million insurance policy, Steuer said.  Insurance will
not pay for the loss of hundreds of uprooted trees, but the college has an
arboretum endowment available.
     Of the buildings, Steuer said about six frame structures, many of
them guest houses, will not open in two weeks.  The Lund Center, a
multipurpose sports complex with a hockey arena and basketball court, will
need roof repairs that will not be completed until commencement exercises
May 31.  The college still intends to hold the ceremonies outdoors.
     "Gustie spirit unites us," said Ivy Bernhardson, chair of the
college's governing board.  "It's not the surroundings, it's the people;
and that's why Gustavus will be a better place," she said.
     "We are a people of the cross, resurrection people, people of hope
and new life.  I often use these words as I speak in disaster situations,
because from the depth of my being I believe these words are true," said
the Rev. Gilbert B. Furst, associate director for Lutheran Disaster
Response.
     There are 2,370 students enrolled at Gustavus for the 1997-1998
school year with 600 faculty, administration and support staff.  The 330-acre campus has 28
academic buildings.  The liberal arts college was
founded in 1862.
     In addition to St. Peter, a series of tornadoes swept through
Comfrey, Le Center and rural areas of Minnesota causing death, massive
destruction, injury and widespread homelessness.  Many churches, farms and
businesses are heavily damaged.
     Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota will manage the relief effort on
behalf of Lutheran Disaster Response with help from an experienced disaster
response team.  An ELCA "DisasterGram" says, "Funds are most needed to
provide essential aid to victims of this disaster as well as assistance for
the long-term recovery."
     "Generators used in last year's Upper Midwest flooding have been
shipped to St. Peter, Comfrey and rural areas," said the Rev. Leon A.
Phillips, director for Lutheran Disaster Response.  "At least twenty buses
filled with volunteers will be sent to the tornado-damaged areas.  At least
1,000 volunteers will participate in this first-phase cleanup.  They will
work both in private homes and at Gustavus Adolphus College," he said.
     "Twisted trees, bent signs, broken wires, crumpled houses -- it was
like a war zone in St. Peter," said the Rev. Herbert L. Chilstrom, former
presiding bishop of the ELCA.
     "At First Lutheran Church, we found a beehive of activity; it has
become the nerve center for the area," said Chilstrom.  "First Lutheran and
St. Peter Catholic churches will have a joint communion service.  Only in
war and disaster can we seem to come together to the altar," he said.
     "But I often wish that the television cameras and news reporters were
still around when our church does the hardest work of all -- helping folks
who are often forgotten when the disaster is out of the headlines," said
Chilstrom.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html