From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Cape Town draws parallels between Ireland and SA

From Theo Coggin
Date 10 Apr 1998 13:06:29

Tel: +2711-487-0026
e-mail: coggin@sn.apc.org

The following letter has been sent by the Most Revd Njongonkulu
Ndungane, Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town, to the Archbishop of
Canterbury, the Most Revd George Carey, and to the Primate of All
Ireland, the Most Revd Robert H A Eames.  The Archbishop has also
conveyed his good wishes to Senator George Mitchell, British prime
minister Tony Blair, Irish premier Bertie Ahern and President Bill
Clinton:

We write from South Africa to give glory and thanks to God, and to
assure you of our prayers on this great day on which the new peace deal
has been signed. Our message comes from a land which has known the pain
and sadness of a country divided. Thousands of people died in South
Africa before we signed our own peace deal. It is thus with a deep sense
of realism that, on behalf of the Church of the Province of Southern
Africa, we send you all our good wishes on this historic day.

We do so in the sure knowledge, based on our experience, that when
people of different political beliefs keep seeking one another in a
spirit of reconciliation and trust, then justice and peace will triumph.
There will be stumbling blocks in the times ahead.

This is the beginning of a long process, and the people of Ireland will
be in our prayers as they give further consideration to the process of
peace. We urge you to see through any difficult days during the process
of referendum, just as South Africans were challenged to see through the
difficult times which we faced in this land. Cling faithfully to the
knowledge that negotiation and reconciliation will always triumph over
violence and death, and lead to new life and fresh opportunities.

As Christians, we can assert this with even greater certainty on this
particular day, Good Friday. For today we remember the supreme sacrifice
of our Lord, who gave Himself for us so that we may have new life.

Be assured of our prayers for your whole Church as you minister in your
dioceses and parishes and work towards reconciliation and forgiveness
amongst people. May such reconciliation and forgiveness be their living
experience.

Thus we rejoice again and realise once more the triumph of the Saviour
of all humankind, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again!

Grace and Peace
Archbishop Njongonkulu Ndungane
Archbishop of Cape Town