From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bishops pay tribute to Huddlestone

From Theo Coggin
Date 20 Apr 1998 13:07:12

Tel: +2711-487-0026
Monday, 20 April 1998

The death today (Monday 20 April) of Father Trevor Huddlestone CR in
Murfield, Northern England, is a great loss to all the people of South
Africa for whom he fought so courageously during the dark years of
apartheid.  The work he did in Sophiatown, Johannesburg, was seminal in
highlighting the plight of black people in South Africa.

The Bishops of the Church of the Province of Southern Africa (Anglican),
meeting jointly this evening in Caledon in South Africa, gave thanks for
the ministry of Father Huddlestone in the CPSA, for his courage and for
his refusal to give in to the forces of evil which engulfed the country
and region.  The Bishops gave thanks for his steadfast obedience, his
compassion for the exploited, and his passion for justice.

They added:  “We will always know him as a symbol of the justice of God
and a personification of the sacrificial love which gives life to all
people.  We are grateful  to God that Trevor lived to see the new South
Africa rise from the horrors of the past  –   he will be a sign and an
inspiration for many generations.  We express our sorrow at his death,
and pay tribute to the work he did in highlighting the injustices of
apartheid.”