From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Methodists in Ireland hail peace settlement

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 20 Apr 1998 15:33:09

April 20, 1998	Contact: Thomas S. McAnally*(615)742-5470*Nashville,
Tenn.   {234}

By John Singleton*

LONDON (UMNS) -- The Northern Ireland peace settlement, reached on Good
Friday, was welcomed by the President of the Methodist Church in
Ireland, the Rev. Norman Taggart, as a "genuine attempt to make a new
beginning" that could well transform relationships within Ireland  and
throughout the United Kingdom.

"Now the hard work really begins," said  Taggart.  "Misunderstandings
and difficulties will still arise, trust between politicians needs to be
developed further and ordinary people-till now excluded from the
discussions and the cut and thrust of negotiations-must be included in
public debate.  The time has now come for the people to have their say."

The agreement concerned the future of everyone in Ireland, said Taggart.
"Hopefully people in Northern Ireland will be spared the intimidation
and manipulation which for too long have marred our politics," he said.
"A willingness to listen to voies of others and to engage in political
dialogue and accommodation is essential if we are to build on what has
been achieved already."

The president said the following questions should be considered as
people prepared to vote on the settlement in next month's referendum: "
Does the agreement increase the prospects of a more compassionate, just
and peaceful society?  Is it generally fair to the aspirations of the
main traditions?  Is there a realistic alternative?  What message would
a negative vote send out within and beyond Ireland?"

"Clear thinking, vision, courage, practical initiatives and prayer are
all needed in abundance," said  Taggart.  "The message of Easter is
directly relevant.  Jesus still breaks down the dividing walls of
hostility between two people.  Bitter division and violence must be left
behind.  A more open, just and caring society can be created."

A message on behalf of the British Methodist Church from the president
and vice-president of the conference, the Rev. John B. Taylor and Sir
Michael Checkland, and the secretary of the conference, the Rev. Brian
E. Beck, spoke of their delight that an agreement had been reached which
allowed "all those who love peace and want differences addressed by
peaceful means", to declare their will through the ballot box.

"We have prayed for peace for years," Taylor said. "We must not stop
now, but continue to pray that in the referenda...the voice of what we
believe to be the vast majority in Ireland who want peace will make
itself heard decisively. "

Taylor said the Methodist Church in Ireland, embracing both north and
south, had long been honored as a "bridge community," the weight of
whose contribution to the peace process had been out of all proportion
to its size.  "We salute our brothers and sisters there," he said.  "Let
the whole of Ireland be ringed with prayer so that future generations
may grow up in harmony and peace."

# # #
*Singleton is a writer for the Methodist Recorder, weekly newspaper of
British Methodism

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at