From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ferguson Is Appointed Interim Director of CMD

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 21 Apr 1998 09:13:48

13-April-1998
98131

    Richard Ferguson Is Appointed Interim Director
    of the Congregational Ministries Division

    by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-The Rev. Richard M. Ferguson, former director of The
Bicentennial Fund and recently interim executive presbyter of Louisville
Presbytery, has been appointed interim director of the Congregational
Ministries Division (CMD).

    A retired pastor, Ferguson replaces the Rev. Eunice B. Poethig, who was
released from her duties as a division director on Feb. 14 after the
General Assembly Council (GAC) chose not to re-elect her to a second term.
Poethig was elected by the GAC in 1994 to be director of the newly
constituted Congregational Ministries Division following restructure of the
Council in 1993.

    In accordance with the procedures of the GAC Manual of Operations
regarding such circumstances, Ferguson was appointed by the Rev. Frank
Diaz, GAC interim executive director. Ferguson told the Presbyterian News
Service he accepted his new appointment on April 3.

    "I really am excited," Ferguson said. "I like the focus, I like the
challenge ... of continuing to focus on congregations as the primary people
we're to serve. So I want to try to emphasize and enhance that."

    Ferguson served as interim executive presbyter of Louisville Presbytery
from July 1996 to October 1997 and director of The Bicentennial Fund from
1988 to 1993. He served as a pastor for more than 30 years, including
associate pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Bethlehem, Pa., from 1970
to 1988; pastor of Calvary Church in St. Clairsville, Ohio, from 1960 to
1970; and pastor of Raccoon United Presbyterian Church in Aliquippa, Pa.,
from 1955 to 1960.

    Ferguson said he is scheduled to serve as interim division director
through the 1999 General Assembly, at which time a new CMD director is
expected to be presented for confirmation by the Assembly.

    Diaz expressed concern over the fact that under the current process
Assembly confirmation is required in order to bring a new division director
on board. He said he is recommending changes to the PC(USA)'s "Organization
for Mission" that would authorize the GAC to elect and confirm a division
director, then inform the Assembly of its decision.

    Under present church policy an interim division director cannot be
nominated as a division director.

    With the 210th General Assembly pending in Charlotte, N.C., Ferguson
said, he is currently busy familiarizing himself with the division's issues
and preparing information Assembly participants will need to conduct their
business.

    Ferguson and his wife, Norma, a telephone consultant for PresbyTel, the
denomination's information service, live in Prospect, Ky. They have four
adult children and 11 grandchildren.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>