From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Life and Worship Goes on in Minnesota Town Devastated by Tornado

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 21 Apr 1998 09:27:56

13-April-1998
98133

    Life and Worship Goes on in Minnesota Town
    Devastated by Tornado

    by Roxann Miller
    Synod of Lakes and Prairies

MINNEAPOLIS-"There was a horrible noise, then light rain," recounted the
Rev. Robert Maharry, pastor of Union Presbyterian Church, St. Peter, Minn.

    At a time when Christians look for new life and celebrate the
Resurrection, people in St. Peter are grateful to be alive and look toward
creating a new future in an historic community.  On Sunday, March 29, a
series of tornadoes ripped through this southern Minnesota community,
leaving near total destruction in their wake.

    Categorized as an F-3 on the Fujita scale, the worst twister imitated
its movie namesake: It was a mile and a quarter wide, on the ground for at
least 15 miles and possibly 30 or 40 miles.  Debris was scattered up to 70
miles away.  Out of 125 businesses, 90 percent have been damaged and 50
percent of those damaged were totally destroyed.  The hospital is unusable.
Three of four schools were severely damaged.

    A dairy farmer and his sons watched their farm disappear as they clung
to a brick wall.  First, sections of the barn blew over them, followed -
literally - by one of the cows.  Although he lost 70 dairy cows, neither he
nor his sons were seriously injured.

    Union Presbyterian Church, which was built in 1871, was also fortunate.
One stained-glass window was blown into the sanctuary and there was damage
to the roof.  Yet the church, which has 292 members, had a traditional Palm
Sunday service, complete with palm branches.

    "There is a real sense of disorientation," Maharry stated.  "People
say, `This is my street, but it's not my street.  This is my home, but it's
not. ...' We need to make a conscious effort for as
much normalcy as possible."

    At least six families in Union's congregation, including that of the
church secretary, have lost their homes.  Four families from First
Presbyterian Church, Kasota, Minn., are displaced.  Some homes show little
exterior damage, yet are not repairable, having shifted off the foundation.
Out of 2,500 residences, 90 percent are damaged, and 25 percent of those
are destroyed, according to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.

    "When I first heard the sirens go off, I wasn't sure what it meant.
Was it a severe thunderstorm or a tornado?" stated the Rev. Amy Vaughn,
parish associate at Union Church.  It didn't take long for the severity of
the moment to become clear.  Heading for the basement with her infant son,
she hunkered down between the washer and dryer.

    Then the tornado hit.  "Once it was over, I had to wait for help.  I
ran to the basement without putting my shoes on," she explained, adding,
"There was glass everywhere - even the windows in the basement blew out."

    In addition to serving the Union Presbyterian Church, Vaughn works with
the Princeton Theological Seminary Youth Forum and serves as an editor with
Presbyterian Publishing Corporation.  She and her husband, Andy, a
professor of religion at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, moved to
Minnesota last summer from Cranbury, N.J., where Amy had served as
associate pastor at First Presbyterian Church.

    Andy was on campus at the time. Normally about a five-minute walk,  it
took 15 to 20 minutes for him to get home, scrambling around the debris.
Rounding the corner to his own block, he saw many of his neighbors' homes
destroyed.  The Vaughns' home was still standing, but windows throughout
the Victorian structure were gone.

    Even though he was home, he couldn't find a way inside.  "Our steps
were gone. A neighbor's garage door was blocking our porch."  Repairing the
damage to their home will cost more than last summer's purchase price.

    Yet the Vaughns are grateful.  "The real miracle," Andy stated, "is
that the college was on spring break.  Otherwise there would have been many
more injuries and deaths."

    Generators used last year in the floods of Grand Forks, N.D., have been
brought in until power can be restored.  Volunteers have flooded the area,
assisting with cleanup.  Rebuilding efforts are already estimated to take
two to five years.  It is said that the efforts will rival rebuilding
efforts in the Grand Forks, N.D., area following the flooding of 1997.

    "Our Minutes for Mission have always been `Here's where your money is
going,'"
commented Maharry. "This time the money is coming home." Maharry's own home
is damaged but repairable.  "Sometimes it's very hard to be the receiver.
It's a lesson in grace."

    Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA) has sent $10,000 to the
Presbytery of Minnesota Valleys to assist in cleanup and rebuilding
efforts. Contributions may be sent to PDA, designated for Minnesota
Tornadoes, Account #9-2000003.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>