From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PPC and British Publishing Partner Celebrate 300th Anniversary

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 21 Apr 1998 10:06:59

9-April-1998
98113

    PPC and British Publishing Partner
    Celebrate 300th Anniversary

    by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-Along with about 500 other publishing and church leaders
from around the world, Davis Perkins, Presbyterian Publishing Corporation
(PPC) president and publisher, participated in the 300th anniversary
celebration of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (SPCK) on
March 11 in London, England.

    The worship service of thanksgiving and rededication, held in the
historic St. Martin-in-the-Fields Church on Trafalgar Square, was conducted
by the head of the Church of England, Archbishop of Canterbury George
Carey, in the presence of SPCK's royal patrons: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth
II and His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh. Perkins also attended the
tea reception afterward at St. James Palace.

    Created in 1698 by the founder of modern Anglican mission, Dr. Thomas
Bray, SPCK is one of the preeminent religious publishers in the world. SPCK
currently publishes about 70 new titles each year through its three
Christian imprints - SPCK, Triangle and Lynx Communications - and its
general imprint, Sheldon Press. In addition, SPCK operates 33 retail
bookshops in the United Kingdom.

    "Through PPC's Westminster John Knox Press [WJK], SPCK is one of our
closest publishing partners," said Perkins. "Our publishing philosophies
are very compatible and, as a result, we've enjoyed a number of fruitful
collaborations over the years. SPCK's mission statement challenges them to
`promote Christian knowledge by communicating the Christian faith in its
rich diversity, by helping people to understand it and develop their
personal faith, and by equipping Christians for mission and ministry.' The
similarity between our respective mission statements and their
manifestations in our publishing programs is striking."

    A partial list of WJK-SPCK co-publications include "The Library of
Ancient Israel," edited by Douglas Knight; "Feminist Theology: A Reader,"
edited by Ann Loades; John Barton's "Holy Writings," "Sacred Text" and
"Love Unknown"; "The Women's Bible Commentary," edited by Carol A. Newsom
and Sharon Ringe; "The New Testament in Its Social Environment," by John
Stambaugh and David L. Balch; "The Nature of Doctrine," by George Lindbeck;
"Introduction of the Bible," by John Hayes; "Beginning Old Testament
Study," edited by John Rogerson; "Liberating Exegesis," by Christopher
Rowland and Mark Corner; "Jesus, Paul, and the Law," by James D.G. Gunn;
"The Intimate Connection," by James B. Nelson; and numerous books by
psychologist Paul Hauck.

    Of the anniversary event itself, Perkins summarized his impressions
this way: "The sense of tradition and grandeur of the ritual were palpable
given the presence of the Queen and Prince Philip. But the most striking
feature of the service had to do with the way in which the Archbishop of
Canterbury characterized the three centuries of SPCK's accomplishments and
challenged all of us in the congregation, in our own ways, to work to meet
the challenges of promoting Christian knowledge in innovative ways in the
future. For me in my work at PPC, it was a singular moment of inspiration."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>