From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Council Moves Ecumenical Proposal Forward

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 22 Apr 1998 12:29:27

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 22, 1998

ELCA COUNCIL MOVES ECUMENICAL PROPOSAL FORWARD
97-14-093-AH

     CHICAGO (ELCA)  -- "Called to Common Mission," a draft proposal for full
communion with The Episcopal Church, came under the scrutiny of the Church Council of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America at the council's meeting here April 18-20.
The proposal is being distributed to congregations and leaders of the ELCA for
discussion and comment.
     The council voted on two actions related to the proposal, one asking members of the
ELCA to study the document and respond, listening respectfully to each other in
discussion.  The other action authorizes a 10-member panel to review responses from the
ELCA and advise the writing team in its effort to prepare a final draft.
     The Rev. Martin Marty, Chicago, introduced the proposal to the Church Council.  He
chaired the writing team that has worked since January to produce "Called to Common
Mission" and is moderator for the advisory panel.  He was joined by the Rt. Rev. Herbert
Donovan, provisional Bishop of the Chicago Diocese, The Episcopal Church.
     The council's main action called on members and congregations of the ELCA to
review the proposal within the framework of the church's ecumenical goals and "to
respond to this draft, thereby participating in the ongoing development of a revised
proposal for full communion ... (for) consideration by the

[...]

proposal for full communion ... (for) consideration by the 1999 Churchwide Assembly."
     It was amended to include encouragement to members of the ELCA to "strengthen
and renew efforts to listen carefully and respectfully to each other as they review this
draft."  In a roll-call vote there were 31 votes in favor of the action and three
abstentions.
     The action emerged out of a drawn-out process of amendments and revisions as the
council worked to carry out its legislative responsibilities faithfully and at the same time
indicate the caution and hesitation of some members.
     Linda J. Brown, council member from Moorhead, Minn., said, "It is essential that our
action be interpreted as an invitation for further education and dialogue, that people be
open to one another's viewpoints."
     The 1997 Churchwide Assembly narrowly defeated the Concordat of Agreement, a
proposal to enter into full communion with The Episcopal Church.  The assembly voted
for a program of education in the ELCA and the creation of a revised document that
could be brought to the 1999 Churchwide Assembly.
     The council's action called on the ELCA "to take advantage of the opportunities for
dialogue and study of available resources for greater understanding of the history,
theology and ecclesiology of this church and The Episcopal Church, and to deepen and
intensify their conversations on full communion with our sisters and brothers in The
Episcopal Church."
     Full communion is not a merger but would make it possible for the two churches to
share clergy and cooperate more fully in their social service and mission efforts,
expressing unity in Christ.
     Marty told the council that he "assumes the entire 100 percent of the ELCA yearns
for full communion."  He said, "Another assumption is that both churches would do
some adapting and changing."  He is "mindful that a majority, not quite two-thirds, is
ready to go ahead."
     Marty said, "I cannot stress too much the difference between full communion and
merger."  Donovan called the "journey" toward full communion "greater, more
significant than merger.  Together we are discovering the nature of the church in our
time."
     Marty said, "The one-third of the church who question this are not my enemy, they are
fellow Lutherans struggling with some of the same things I have had to think about."
     Some Lutherans are troubled by the necessity that both proposals have borne for
ELCA acceptance of the historic episcopate, a succession of bishops as a sign of unity
to the early days of the Christian church, Marty said, "You cannot realize  full
communion' with The Episcopal
Church without also receiving the episcopate."
     He said, "We have to be clear: any Lutherans, however creative and imaginative or
visionary they may be, who say that they propose and desire full communion with
Episcopalians but without the episcopate are wasting time, breath, and ink."
     Marty stressed that Lutherans need not view the historic episcopate among the
essentials of faith.  "We took great pains these months to be assured and to have the
document clearly and precisely say that Episcopalians do not expect Lutherans to start
accepting the episcopate as
a matter of faith, as something essential to our understanding of the ministry of Word
and Sacrament."
     Marty said, "We're picking up some pieces that Americans have dropped.  Lots of
Lutherans elsewhere in the world have the historic episcopate."

     In answer to a question Marty explained that the new proposal, like the earlier
Concordat, allows only bishops to ordain pastors.  Currently an ELCA bishop may
designate a pastor to fulfill his or her role in that rite.  "If you make all kinds of
exceptions, there is no sign of continuity," he
said.
     Marty said, the ELCA, in making this move, would join that part of the church which
sees that sign as so important.
     The Rev. Susan L. Engh, Wayzata, Minn., pointed to the Haugean tradition in American
Lutheranism, "which I learned and embraced in my seminary experience."  She said,
"There is no magic to the laying on of hands at ordination, still we require the touch of a
certain person.  I am questioning why one touch would be more official than another."
     Engh said, "This has to do with how I think of myself as a pastor and my calling."  She
said, I am called by God and God's church, and that church is made up of God's people.
     Marty asked, "Do you think a pastor is needed ordain?  Could a lay person do it?"
     Engh responded, "I'm not sure a lay person couldn't ordain."  She said in an interview,
"It is very important to me that lay people were involved in the laying on of hands at my
own ordination" and stressed that she is committed to good order.

In other business:

     The Church Council decided that it will schedule three meetings each year beginning in
2000.  The council now meets in the spring and fall of each year and briefly before each
biennial churchwide assembly.  The action means that council members will reserve dates
for a possible meeting in the summers of even-dated years.  The purpose of the
additional meeting will be to provide the council with a non-legislative session so its
members can engage in one or two key topics without the pressure of needing to come
to a vote.

     The Church Council elected several people to fill unexpired terms or new positions on
churchwide boards and committees (congregation to which each is a member):

ELCA Endowment Fund, Board of Trustees
The Rev. E. Allen Scanlon, First Lutheran Church, Greensburg, Pa.
Debra M.J. Buttaggi, St. Armands Key Lutheran Church, Sarasota, Fla.

Board of Pensions, Board of Trustees
Kenneth G. Bash, New Covenant Lutheran Church, Scottsdale, Ariz.
David Alvarez, Iglesia Luterana El Redentor, Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico

ELCA Committee on Discipline
The Rev. Vicki R. Hultine, Lands Lutheran Church, Zumbrota, Minn.
The Rev. Eugene W. Beutel, St. Timothy Lutheran Church, Camp Hill, Pa.

ELCA Committee on Hearing Officers
Yolanda A. Tanner, St. Philip's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Baltimore

Commission for Multicultural Ministries, Steering Committee
Justin M. Oakman, Christ the King Lutheran Church, Tacoma, Wash.

Department for Human Resources, Advisory Committee
Sylvia J. Pate, New Hope Lutheran Church, Dayton, Ohio
Susan Tolle, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Thousand Oaks, Calif.

     The Church Council selected the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis as the site
for the ELCA Churchwide Assembly to be held August 8-14, 2001.  The designation
comes at the recommendation of the church's Office of the Secretary and "subject to
satisfactory completion of negotiation."

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html