From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Title: Prayer Appeal for Northern Ireland

From press@eauk.org (EAUK Press Office)
Date 23 Apr 1998 12:57:06

For Immediate Release: 14th April 1998

The General Secretary of the Northern Ireland Evangelical Alliance,
Rev David McCarthy, has appealed for Christians across the UK to
intensify their prayers for the people of Northern Ireland and the
Republic of Ireland during the crucial six-week run-up to the historic
referendum on May 22nd.

Rev McCarthy said: "It has often been in times of our deepest trouble
that we have called for special prayer. Now, at this historic
God-given moment, which may allow us a constructive way forward, we
would once again ask Christians to stand with us in prayer."

Mr McCarthy said that whether one's initial reaction was to support or
oppose the Multi-Party Agreement, it was important for each person to
study the document fairly, free from unjust bias, and to respond in
such a way that showed they understood the issues from the perspective
of people with whom they differ.

"It is important that we demonstrate in an imperfect world that we
love our neighbours as ourselves and that we want the best for them."

Mr McCarthy said it was vital to pray at this time that God would
restrain men and women of violence and give wisdom to leaders in the
areas of church, community, politics and security.

Ends

For further information, contact:
Rev David McCarthy, nireland@eauk.org
01232 247920 or + 44 1232 247920