From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Negotiations for use of defunct college campus at a standstill

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 24 Apr 1998 11:55:57

April 24, 1998	Contact: Linda Green*(615)742-5470 *Nashville, Tenn.
{245}

By United Methodist News Service

Negotiations have stalled over the use of  the campus of the now-defunct
Sue Bennett College in London, Ky.

The Red Bird Missionary Conference, based in Beverly, Ky., and Union
College, in Barbourville, Ky., have been talking for six months with the
Women's Division of the United Methodist Board of Global Ministries
about developing a mission program to benefit the community once served
by Sue Bennett College. The college closed last fall after losing
accreditation.

After the closing, the Red Bird conference and Union College wanted to
preserve the United Methodist mission in that part of southeastern
Kentucky, said Robert Wood, conference treasurer and member of the
negotiations team. Discussions followed with community leaders to
determine the best uses of the property within the mission of the
church.

The community talks led to a partnership among the Board of Global
Ministries, Union and the Red Bird conference, he said. "We have been in
very serious discussions for the last six months about the future of
that campus, and we are remaining optimistic that a good solution can be
found."

During its semi-annual April 17-20 meeting in Stamford, Conn., the
Women's Division, which owns the property,  announced that negotiations
are at a "temporary stall," but that the agency is confident that
continued talks will produce an agreement for the use of the campus.

The main sticking point is the lease agreement. The Board of Global
Ministries is proposing that the conference and college have an initial
two-year lease, followed by a possible 30-year term. The conference and
college are pushing for a long-term lease immediately.

The college and the conference want the 30-year lease before they
develop any solid program at Sue Bennett, said Lesley Crosson,
spokeswoman for the United Methodist Board of Global Ministries.
"Acceptance of such a demand would allow Red Bird and Union to simply
sublease the property as real estate, rather than develop programs for
the community that has been so well served by the former college."

During the proposed two-year lease, Red Bird would sponsor summer work
camps on the campus and sublease space to nonprofit organizations
approved by the Women's Division. The division provides programs for
women, children and youth, and has operated the Sue Bennett campus as a
mission for more than 100 years.

In the agency's proposal, Union College would conduct degree-completion
programs for students in the community. Red Bird, Union and the Board of
Global Ministries also would use the two years to create a nonprofit
corporation that would become the managing board of directors at the Sue
Bennett campus.

Crosson said the board is concerned that "granting a 30-year lease
without the two-year planning period could jeopardize the long-term
success of any mission program." The board's plan would give Union and
Red Bird immediate use of the campus while allowing time to develop a
mission program that would serve the community's needs, she said.

During the second year, the Women's Division would consider a
recommendation for a long-term lease, said Connie Takamine, division
treasurer. By then, the new board would have defined its mission and
presented a program and financial plan backed by letters of intent, she
said.

However, before an agreement could be reached, Red Bird and Union wanted
assurance that the board's proposal for a two-year lease would roll into
a 30-year lease, said Union College President David Joyce.

"I was willing to compromise with the initial lease rolling into a
15-year lease, followed by a second 15-year agreement at the end of that
term, even though I was uncomfortable with that arrangement," Joyce
said. "I truly wanted to see the plan move forward."

The Board of Global Ministries  was "not able to support our request for
a long-term lease," said Union spokesman Edward Black. "In the absence
of substantial up-front funding to repair four buildings that were
unsuitable for occupancy, a long-term lease agreement becomes even more
critical," he said. "We were looking for service organizations fitting
the mission to sublease a portion of the campus on a long-term basis,
the income from which could then be capitalized for the repairs."

"Through our numerous meetings with local officials and community
organizations, we believed we were communicating the needs of the
London-Laurel community while upholding the mission of the church,"
Black said. "And, we were pleased with the support we received from the
community. We just weren't going to risk their willingness to make
investments by committing to a short-term project."

"It would have taken several years to pay for the repairs necessary to
fully utilize the Sue Bennett facility," Black added, referring to the
financial support necessary from various local organizations.

Despite what the Women's Division and the Board of Global Ministries
consider a "temporary stall," the agency is confident an agreement will
be reached shortly, Crosson said.

"We are absolutely committed to effectively serving the London community
through vital, life-changing programs," said Jerald Scott, an agency
executive. "We have a long and proud history of missionary activity
there. It may take more time to work through this situation, but we
believe it is worth it. Our main concern is that the needs of the people
of this community be met."

Joyce said all parties had proceeded in good faith.

^From the beginning, the partnership's aim was to "see what we could do
to support the church's mission to provide social, spiritual and
educational ministry in this region," he said. The college and Red Bird
will continue to seek ways to provide those services to the London
community, he said. "I hope that we can keep the dialogue open with the
General Board of Global Ministries to reach an agreement in the future."

(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at
http://www.umc.org/umns/