From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Salvadoran bishop condemns "wave of violence"

From FRANK_IMHOFF.parti@ecunet.org (FRANK IMHOFF)
Date 05 May 1998 16:45:44

Baptist church leader most recent victim

SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador/GENEVA, 30 April 1998 (lwi) - The bishop of the
Salvadoran Lutheran Synod, Medardo E. Gomez Soto has severely condemned the
murder of Baptist church leader, Cesar Humberto Lopez. The 34-year-old
secretary for interchurch relations and president of the Ecumenical
Brotherhood for Peace "FRATERPAZ" was shot dead from behind by two unknown
persons, April 17. Lopez had received several death threats in the
preceding week.

"The wave of violence which grips our country", Gomez Soto said in his
statement, "has now penetrated even our historical church. We all react
with great consternation to this deed and demand elucidation and justice."

Lutheran World Information
Editorial Assistant: Janet Bond-Nash
E-mail: jbn@lutheranworld.org
http://www.lutheranworld.org/