From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Third Mission Conference

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 04 May 1998 14:45:51

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: Wendy S. McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227
Internet:  news@ncccusa.org

NCC5/4/98                    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THIRD ECUMENICAL CONFERENCE ON "MISSION IN A NEW
MILLENNIUM" INCLUDES EVANGELICALS WITH MAINLINE
PROTESTANTS, CATHOLICS
To be Held May 14-17 at the Archbishop Cousins Catholic
Center, Milwaukee, Wis.

 NEW YORK, NY, May 4 ---- The changing character of
mission work and how that work might be better accomplished
ecumenically in the next millennium will be discussed by a
group of mainline Protestants, Catholics and Evangelicals
at the Third Ecumenical Conference on Common Witness, to be
held May 14-17 at the Bishop Cousins Center in Milwaukee,
Wis.

 A stronger evangelical presence than at past
conferences will join the U.S. Catholic Mission Association
(USCMA) and Church World Service and Witness (CWSW), which
represents Protestant and Orthodox communions, in the 11-
year-old effort to explore possibilities of common ground
in mission work.

 The Most Rev. Rembert G. Weakland, O.S.B., Archbishop
of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, will welcome the
participants and the Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell, general
secretary of the National Council of Churches, will also
bring greetings.  CWSW is the humanitarian relief and
refugee assistance arm of the National Council of Churches.

Through plenaries, discussion groups and Bible study,
an expected 65 participants will focus on four critical
issues: 1) evangelism; 2) globalization of the economy 3)
urbanization and mission in the city, and 4) refugees and
displaced people.

The keynote address will be delivered by the Rev. Dr.
Robert Michael Franklin, President of the
Interdenominational Theological Center in Atlanta and an
ordained minister in the Church of God in Christ.  Other
speakers include: The Rev. Carlos Cardoza, a Puerto Rican
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) minister; Immanuel
Clapsis, Pastor of the St. Anargyro Greek Orthodox Church
in Marboro, Mass.; Claudette LaVerdiere, a Maryknoll sister
who taught for many years in East Africa; Radhika
Balakrishnan from the Department of International Studies
at Marymount College, and Joan Maruskin, a United Methodist
Minister from Yoe, Penn. who coordinates People of the
Golden Vision.

 "The millennium mandates that we get together and
make a theological, missiological attempt to go outside our
own programs and plan for the future," said the Rev. Lonnie
Turnipseed from CWSW, who is organizing the conference
along with Sister Mary Motte of the Franciscan Missionaries
of Mary.  "This is a counter-cultural move to go against
more divisive forces at work in society and in our churches
and to struggle to find common ground."

 "The very fact that we are getting together is
newsworthy," said Ms. Margaret Larom, Director of World
Mission Interpretation and Networks for the Episcopal
Church and a member of the Continuing Committee for Common
Witness, a consultative ecumenical body which was formed in
1987 by representatives from CWSW and the USCMA to foster
unity in mission.  "That all three streams, not only
mainline Protestants and Catholics but also Evangelicals,
are discussing these issues, is worth noting.
Institutionally, we do not do things together often, either
in this country or abroad."

 Although Continuing Committee members said that
Christians do sometimes end up working together on the
local level, they stressed that divisions at the
institutional level in the United States and abroad end up
hampering local mission efforts, particularly in an age
when there are limited resources for much church mission
work.

"A positive example of what can happen when we do
work together is the Asia Pacific Center in Washington,
D.C., which brings together Protestants and Catholics to
work for justice and peace in Asia," said the Rev. Joe
LaPauw, Provincial of the Missionhurst Fathers (C.I.E.M.).
"Working together from our common resource of faith allows
for better monitoring and advocating in Asia."

 Members of the Continuing Committee readily
acknowledge that the groups they represent - which number
about 700 altogether - are remarkably diverse in terms of
theological and political opinions.  Because of these
differences, the evangelical participants "are coming to
the consultation to assess and explore" before making any
commitments to work cooperatively, said the Rev. Paul
McKaughan, Executive Director of the Evangelical Fellowship
of Mission Agencies.

 "The relationships we form are the most important
part and are a model of what is happening everywhere as we
are increasingly having to learn to live together as a
multicultural, multireligious society," Rev. Turnipseed
said.

The Continuing Committee on Common Witness has held
two prior consultations, in 1987 and 1994.  Following the
1994 meeting on "Common Witness in a Changing World Order,"
the Committee issued a final statement pledging to work
together in four "concrete acts of common witness":
ecumenical missionary orientation; ecumenical mission
education; a communications network; and a new CWSW-USCMA
relationship.

 As a result of this pledge, USCMA and CWSW have
exchanged representatives at board meetings and Lutherans,
Presbyterians and Catholics have cooperated in some joint
missionary orientations.  To address its interest in
communications, the committee held a conference on the
"information superhighway" at Catholic University in
Washington, D.C. in June, 1995.

 "Mission is not dead, but the context has changed
with the collapse of the Soviet bloc and the changing
global economy," said the Rev. LaPauw.  "There is a
remarkable amount of stereotyping about mission.  It is not
an old-fashioned word - it is always at the cutting edge.
Mission is about sharing some signs of hope in the world
today."

 One of the major changes in mission work in recent
years is the move toward mutuality, committee members
explained.  "The United States is now receiving
missionaries, and in fact many countries that `first world'
countries once missionized now consider those same first
world countries to be their most urgent mission field
because they have become so secular," Rev. LaPauw
explained.

 "The foundation for all Christians is baptism, and we
share a common vocation," said Rev. Turnipseed.  "Yet too
often, we do not recognize that we are all seeking to share
the gospel of Christ in a particular place.  We hope to
find ways at this conference to share our common faith."

-end-
 -0-