From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Youth Spend "A Day on the Internet"

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 06 May 1998 17:26:14

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 6, 1998

ELCA YOUTH SPEND "A DAY ON THE INTERNET"
98-16-102-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Lutheran young people from across the country used
the Internet April 29 to connect with each other for a live interactive
chat.  High school, college and seminary students of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America talked about how the church can minister with
gay, lesbian and bisexual youth.  More than 45 young people and youth
advisors participated in "A Day on the Internet."
     Young people and church leaders also prayed and took part in a 24-hour fast that
day for the "personal and faith issues facing gay, lesbian
and bisexual youth."
     "The focus for the discussion was exclusive to the topic of ministry
with their peers," said the Rev. Kelly Chatman, ELCA director for youth
ministries.  "The forum was not equipped to discuss issues of sexuality or
engage in moral deliberation.  Lutheran youth solicited response about
engaging in ministry together."
     In 1995 the ELCA's Churchwide Assembly affirmed "that gay and lesbian
people, individuals created by God, are welcome to participate fully in the
life of congregations."  The young people used that action to frame the
context of their online conversation.
     Youth advisors participated in the chat to help guide conversation.
Chatman set the conversation "on a good path" with an opening statement.
He said, "We are seeking a positive outcome from this discussion on the
Internet.  We believe during this time of prayer and fasting the Spirit of
Jesus will be revealed.  There are no other foregone conclusions. This is a
time to challenge ourselves regarding what it means to be the baptized body
of Christ."
     A young participant said, "I think the best way to be in ministry
with gay, lesbian and bisexual people is to educate teenagers and adults
... education is primary."  Youth had the opportunity to participate
anonymously.
     Another way is "to find people who are willing to talk to groups or
the congregation and tell their story.  At my congregation, a gay couple
visited and talked about their lives.  It was important for students to
hear real stories from real people," said a young person.
     "Having people share their stories is important because it makes the
issue take on a human face ... it is no longer just a thought," wrote
another.
     "It would be great if youth leaders could sit down with adult leaders
and talk openly and honestly, behind closed doors, of course.  I believe
adults hold the power and youth hold the future.  The two are mutually
dependent," wrote an adult participant.
     "My church has a gay couple in union.  We remember their anniversary
in the prayers like other anniversaries.  Rare, I'm sure, but hopeful,"
said a teenager.
     The interactive online event was part of "A Year of Prayer," a year-long emphasis for
homosexual and bisexual youth, established by the ELCA's
Lutheran Youth Organization board.  The approximately 500,000 members of
the youth organization and others in the ELCA are called to pray for the
"personal and faith issues facing gay, lesbian and bisexual youth" through
Oct. 1998.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html