From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Letter to Pakistan from NCC General

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 12 May 1998 14:57:31

Secreatry

National Council of the Churches of Christ in
the U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
Internet:  news@ncccusa.org

44NCC5/12/98              FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC GENERAL SECRETARY WRITES PRIME MINISTER OF
PAKISTAN;  ASKS URGENT ATTENTION TO RELIGIOUS
LIBERTY AND TOLERANCE

NEW YORK, May 12 - The Rev. Dr. Joan Brown
Campbell, General Secretary of the National
Council of Churches, today sent the following
letter to the Prime Minister of Pakistan
expressing her sorrow at Roman Catholic Bishop
John Joseph's tragic death and asking urgent
attention to religious liberty and tolerance:

Mr. Nawaz Sharif, Prime Minister of Pakistan
FAX:  011-92-51-920-7145

Your Excellency:

The tragic death of Bishop John Joseph prompts
our addressing you with great urgency on the
matter of religious liberty and tolerance in
your country. Our hope is that we can find ways
to cooperate in supporting the efforts of your
government to expand religious freedom for all
religious communities and to contain and reduce
the fanatical acts of religious hostility that
may occur in your country or in any country
including our own.

The sadness we feel over the death of Bishop
Joseph is very real. Yet we also honor him as a
witness to the need for genuine religious
freedom and the ending of religious hostilities
on all sides. It is in our gratitude for his
life that we offer the cooperation and support
of our churches here and our partner churches
in Pakistan and elsewhere. The church in
Pakistan is a part of and deeply connected to
the world wide Christian community with
millions of adherents who also care. We believe
there is a growing global realization that
religious violence and repression are
incompatible with the core teachings of all
religious traditions. Likewise such acts are
blots upon the stability and maturity of any
nation's social order.

We are equally concerned with the death
sentence given to Ayub Masih, according to
reports coming to us, a man medically and
emotionally ill as well as innocent of the
charges brought against him by religious
fanatics under the blasphemy law. We understand
he has been deprived of legal help due to
threats by these same fanatics against lawyers
who might take his case.

In despair over this circumstance and its
meaning for Christian people, the lack of legal
recourse and inattention to religious
persecution issues, we believe Bishop Joseph
has offered his tragic witness. He has chosen
to sacrifice his life on behalf of religious
liberty for all the people of Pakistan.

While we do not believe it is appropriate for
the United States to intervene in the religious
affairs of Pakistan, we do believe it is right
for us religious communities to urge you and
your government to address decisively the
terrorist and criminal activities of religious
fanatics. Specifically we urge your government
to:

a) target, identify and publicly denounce
fanatical groups opposed to religious
liberty for all Pakistanis.

b) Prosecute aggressively fanatical groups
engaged in religious persecution and
terrorism. Encourage harsh penalties with
jail sentences for acts of religious
terrorism.

c) Repeal the blasphemy law in order to
create fairness and equity for all
religious communities.

d) Commute the sentence imposed on Ayub
Masih,  release him from custody and
provide for his safety from his attackers.

e) Encourage all clergy to inform their
religious followers about the evil of
religious persecution and terror and the
importance of religious freedom for all
the people of Pakistan and of the world.

It happens that Bishop Joseph's tragic death
occurred exactly as we were welcoming Bishop
Samuel Azariah, Moderator (Presiding Bishop) of
the Church of Pakistan, as a guest here. He
came to help us deal with the United States'
role in relation to religious freedom and
religious persecution worldwide. You would have
been touched and deeply proud of the
presentations about Pakistan and the role and
place of the Christian community there made by
Bishop Azariah.

Basically he helped members of the United
States Congress, the Department of State, the
National Security Council, church leaders and
the public at large through the media and
through newspaper editorial board contacts
understand three critical points:

1. Christians in Pakistan, though a small
minority, are loyal Pakistanis committed
to contributing to the upbuilding of
Pakistan politically, economically and
religiously.

2. Pakistan experiences religious
hostilities and even violence, not by
government action or its prompting or even
by government inattention or neglect, but
due to the fanatical acts of extremist
fundamentalist groups.

3. Punitive acts by the United States
toward Pakistan (such as termination of
and  including military assistance, even
limited economic sanctions, etc.) are apt
to exacerbate religious violence,
encourage fanatical acts and erode
international relationships.

I want to confirm the very great importance of
Bishop Azariah's presentations. He confirmed
our view that on religious issues of this sort,
it is essential that US decisions be informed
by the real experiences and insights of
religious leaders in the lands alleged by
strident religious and political voices here to
practice or tolerate religious persecution. We
have been opposed to the religious persecution
legislation currently under consideration in
our Congress. We believe expanding religious
liberty as well as providing assistance for
economic development, health care, education
and political stability is the way religious
communities will be freed from hostilities and
fanatical forces will be effectively countered.
Bishop Azariah from your land has strengthened
us in our resolve.

We offer to work collaboratively for a stronger
Pakistan where religious freedom and an
atmosphere of tolerance can be experienced by
all. We stand ready to be available to respond
supportively to your efforts in this regard.

May God's gifts of wisdom, good health and the
continuing strength of leadership be yours in
abundance.

Cordially, with our prayers for peace for all,

The Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell
General Secretary

- end -
4