From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bishop's Murder Again Threatens Peace in Guatemala

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 14 May 1998 18:13:43

8-May-1998
98164

    Bishop's Murder Again Threatens
    Peace in Guatemala

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--The murder of a 75-year-old Roman Catholic bishop shortly
after his office released a report blaming the Guatemalan military for most
of the human rights violations during the war years seems, in the minds of
most Guatemalans, to prove the church's point: that reconciliation between
the perpetrators and victims of violence requires more than political
negotiation.

    The church is arguing that, despite the 1996 peace accords that brought
an end to Guatemala's 36-year civil war, peace takes something more:
healing the souls of victims and perpetrators who endured some of the worst
bloodletting in this hemisphere.

    "There is a culture of violence here," said Edgar Gutierrez,
coordinator of the three-year investigation by the Archbishop's Human
Rights Office that resulted in a 1400-page report called, "Guatemala: Never
Again!"  The report was made public just two days before Bishop Juan
Gerardi Conedera was bludgeoned to death in his garage with a jagged cement
block.  "It is like a sickness.  When you're sick, the worst thing you can
do is ignore the sickness.  You have to find a way to get medication for
it.

    "That," Gutierrez said, "is what we're trying to do."

    Gutierrez and teams of interviewers documented eyewitness testimonies,
including those by a few perpetrators, of 422 massacres -  401 of which
were committed by the Guatemalan army or one of its paramilitaries. The
report also describes the torture, rape, killing, illegal detention and
"disappearance" of more than 55,000 people -  crimes that often went
undocumented and unpenalized during the long years of a guerrilla war.
Experts estimate that more than 130,000 people have been killed, most of
whom were indigenous people in remote parts of the country.  Human Rights
groups in the United States most stridently protested that violence in the
1980s during the administrations of former presidents Gen. Efrain Rios
Montt and his predecessor Romeo Lucas Garcia. These groups also argued that
the violence was backed by nearly $40 million in U.S. military aid to a
series of right-wing military juntas.

    Blaming the military for almost 90 percent of the war's human rights
abuses, "Guatemala: Never Again!" recommends that the army and the
guerrillas take responsibility for abuses committed during the war and make
reparation to survivors, that care be given to war victims and that
Guatemala's long tradition of impunity end.  It also recommends civilian
control over the military and, according to Ecumenical News International
(ENI), advocates barring government and guerrilla leaders responsible for
human rights violations from public office.

    "This country lives in a vicious circle,"  Gutierrez told the
Presbyterian News Service, describing the crime wave that has swept
Guatemala since the war's end. "We signed the peace accords and things are
the same, if not worse.  There are kidnappings, though not for political
reasons anymore, but for economic ones and for personal vengeance."

    Guatemala's bloody history is destined to repeat itself unless changes
are made, Guterrez said, adding that the archdiocese has already begun
peace education courses, opened mental health clinics and started
exhumations at several massacre sites as ways of getting at the truth about
what happened in the war.

    The timing of the bishop's murder so close to the report's release is
suspected by many to be a devastating repetition of the past - another
conspiratorial spiral in the circle of death and violence in Guatemala -
though the government hasn't ruled out the possibility of common crime. It
quickly detained a 24-year-old vagrant as a possible suspect and also
launched a murder probe using the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation
instead of army investigators.

      But others fear the bishop's death has more to do with "recalcitrant
sectors" of the military, unhappy with proposed constitutional changes that
would limit the army's power.  Even the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, stated
clerk of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), raised the question of military
reprisal with Guatemala's President Alvaro Arzu and U.S. Secretary of State
Madeleine Albright for Gerardi's refusal to remain quiet about human rights
violations.

      According to ENI,  military officials and guerrilla commanders
allegedly responsible for atrocities are cited, in some cases by name, in
"Guatemala: Never Again!"  That is in contrast to an upcoming report from
the United Nations-sponsored Commission for Historical Clarification,
which, according to terms established in the peace negotiations, does not
name those who committed particular acts of violence.

    But to human rights lawyers like Guatemala City's Frank LaRue, who has
represented Guatemalan Presbyterians in international court, enforced
silence is precisely the purpose of the bishop's murder.   He believes it's
a way to squelch other legal investigations that could arise out of the
report; but more importantly, it demonstrates the limits of the Guatemalan
government's authority and  the limits on the safety of those figures who
protest the violence.

    "This is such a major incident, it has to be linked to the security
forces," said LaRue, who interprets Gerardi's death as the beginning of a
new era of danger that reverses the gains of the peace process.  "If they
can murder a bishop, they can murder anyone ... We used to believe that
exposure was good security.  But this is the most visible bishop in human
rights and international work.  There is no confusion in terms of this
message: we [can] hit even the most visible person.  High-level visibility
is no longer the safety it was before.

    "And people are very scared," LaRue added, "Bishop [Oscar] Romero [who
was martyred in El Salvador for his opposition to human rights abuses
there] was murdered during the war.  Bishop Gerardi was murdered during
peace.  What peace are we talking about?"

    The plea for healing that goes beyond political peace was summed up
poignantly in a letter to the editor of Prensa Libra, a Guatemala City
daily, that called upon Gerardi's killer to turn himself in and get help
for his own sake.  "I suppose," it read, "you have not ceased to be human,
to feel something.  How did your hands feel afterward; do they still
tremble?  I don't know if you went to the School of the Americas ... but
someone programmed you to do what you did ... We all know we must have help
to get over this kind of trauma.  You need it doubly so ... Don't commit
the same crimes again.

    "Every murder committed by your hands causes a piece of  you to die
too.  Don't continue to kill yourself."

    Such accountability distinguishes the proposed ecclesiastical
reconciliation process from the political one, according to Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) mission worker Dennis Smith, who has served in Guatemala
City for more than 20 years.

    "There are some who want to say that the war is a stage that is all
over, all behind us. ... Just forgive and forget," Smith said. "But this is
different terms for forgiveness.  It requires acknowledgment of
responsibility. ... For reconciliation to be real, to build up something
new, to assure this doesn't happen again, we have to assume responsibility
without pursuing vengeance."

    Smith said the Catholic church has taken the lead in exploring pastoral
models to begin
reconciliation in communities divided by the war. This often includes using
liturgy and ritual to bring closure to the past, to end what may be years
of grieving for a  "disappeared" son, husband or father.  Simultaneously,
he said, the church is working in some settings to reintegrate perpetrators
of violence back into communities they once terrorized.

    "The fact is victims and victimizers continue to live side-by-side,"
said Smith, pointing out that one of the tactics used to divide communities
was to arm some members against others.

    "Polarization is more manageable politics," he continued, "but if you
are able to build a community that transcends `them' and `us,' then the
power of the people is affected who kept us `them' and `us' for their own
partisan ends."

    Ten Protestant church bodies - including two indigenous Presbyterian
groups ( Kaqchikel Presbytery and the Mayan Presbyterian Brotherhood) -
signed on to a published poem Smith wrote for the local paper, declaring
themselves to be "accomplices" in the bishop's gospel-project of
"truth-telling, practicing repentance and pardon, defending each one's
dignity." The church groups also demand the capture and prosecution of not
only the "assassin," but the behind-the-scenes planners they believe exist.

    "This particular crime needs to be solved," Smith told the Presbyterian
News Service, referring to years of impunity, "not for vengeance, but
because this level of impunity undermines all our humanity."

    Proceedings were temporarily halted last week in what the Associated
Press calls "the first-ever trial of army members for a wartime massacre,"
when Nobel Peace Prize winner Rigoberta Menchu protested to the Guatemalan
Supreme Court that the judges were being partial to the military.  In the
trial, 25 soldiers are accused of murdering 11 refugees who were returning
to Guatemala in 1995.

    LaRue commented, "How much can we say we live at peace?  How much can
we say peace is triumphant over the forces of violence, the evil of the
past?

    "Or are we just reliving the past again?" he asked, stressing that
solving the Gerardi case would strengthen the Arzu government like nothing
else could do

    After the bishop's death, ENI reported that the Costa Rican printer was
instructed to increase the press run of "Guatemala: Never Again!" from
3,000 to 17,000.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>