From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Indiana United Methodists share their faith stories in new book

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 18 May 1998 14:04:28

May 18, 1998	Contact: Thomas S. McAnally*(615)742-5470*Nashville,
Tenn.    {303}

By United Methodist News Service

Indiana United Methodists are going public with their faith experiences
in a new book, Treasures in Clay Jars, just released by Providence House
Publishing.

"The book represents a real grassroots sharing," said editor Lynne
DeMichele. "All of the stories are intensely personal.  Some reflect
moments of simple, beautiful clarity, while others describe an
astounding moment of grace born out of an otherwise shattering
experience."

The book project sprang from the idea of  the Rev. Andrea Leininger,
associate pastor of Calvary United Methodist Church in Brownsburg, Ind.

"We United Methodists do a good job at programming and ministry, but we
don't share our own personal faith walk as much as we might," Leininger
explained. "This book project was a way of addressing that. We hope it
encourages others to begin sharing their own stories."

Lay and clergy members throughout the state were encouraged to submit
faith stories for possible inclusion in the book.  A special reading
committee made final selections.

"Some will make you laugh or cry, ponder or reflect . . . God becomes
more real, faith more central and the world more friendly as each writer
tells his story, tells her story," said Indiana Bishop Woodie W. White,
in his foreword for the book.

The book's title comes from 2 Corinthians 4:6-7(NRS): "For it is God who
said, 'Let light shine out of darkness,' who has shown in our hearts to
give light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus
Christ.  But we have this treasure in clay jars, so that it may be made
clear that this extraordinary power belongs to God and does not come
from us."

The cover depicts a leaded stained glass window created especially for
the book by Minnietta Millard, whose husband is pastor of St. Luke's
United Methodist Church in Indianapolis. The glass creation, like the
book, is designed to show how God's light has shown through the lives of
these Indiana United Methodists.

Copies of the book, accompanied by a letter from White, are being sent
to new church members as a way of welcoming them and introducing them to
other area United Methodists.

# # #

NOTE TO EDITORS: The book is available through Cokesbury
(1-800-672-1789) and local bookstores for $9.95 (ISBN: 1-57736-101-6).

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at
http://www.umc.org/umns/