From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Mission Conference

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 19 May 1998 15:04:24

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Contact: Wendy S. McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227
Internet:  news@ncccusa.org

49NCC5/19/98                   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CHURCH LEADERS TO EXPAND COMMON WITNESS ON
MISSION WORK

 May 17, 1998, Milwaukee ---- Eighty Roman
Catholic, mainline Protestant, Evangelical and
Orthodox participants explored the changing
character of mission work and how that work might be
better accomplished ecumenically at the Third
Ecumenical Conference on Common Witness, held May
14-17 at the Bishop Cousins Center in Milwaukee.

 The meeting was sponsored by Church World
Service and Witness (CWSW), the humanitarian relief
and refugee assistance ministry of the National
Council of Churches (NCC), and the U.S. Catholic
Mission Association (USCMA).  This third conference
also included individuals from several evangelical
mission agencies.

 Participants heard compelling stories of need
and response from frontline workers in overseas
missions, inner city ministries and refugee
networks.  Throughout the conference, they
strategized about how to further this kind of work
on an ecumenical basis and helped draft an action
plan that was released at the end of the weekend.

The group looked for innovative new ways to
share their vision of common witness and committed
to invest in a web page and communications network
to continue the cooperative work that began in 1987.

"Although we have worked together well around
certain issues, like refugee assistance, we have not
done enough together institutionally in areas like
mission education and training," said the Rev. Dr.
Rodney Page, Executive Director of CWSW.  "These
conferences have brought together major Protestant
and Catholic umbrella mission organizations in a
counter-cultural struggle to find common ground.
Already, an ecumenical Gospel and Culture Network
has been formed and a group of Presbyterians,
Lutherans and Catholics are working together to
train and orient missionaries.  A communications
strategy was one of the concrete initiatives to come
out of this meeting."

 "The relationships that are formed here mirror
the inclusive body of Christ which cuts across
denominational lines," said Rosanne Rustemeyer,
SSND, Executive Director of USCMA.  "In this
Milwaukee conference, mission agency leaders
gathered to consider new areas of mission, including
mission in the city and mission among uprooted
peoples.  It is our hope that the conversations
begun here will reach back into our churches and
provide new stimulus for those engaged in mission."

-end-

NOTE TO REPORTERS AND EDITORS: A longer feature on
the conference will follow.
 -0-